VMware Horizon Community
pmcwhor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 7 Screen Resolution Problem

To make the question as concise as possible, here is what I've got.

- VM with Windows 7 Enterprise version 6.1

- Vmware tools installed from ESX 4 upd 1 host

- Latest Windows updates installed

- Windows Device Manager shows no problems with any hardware

- Display driver Vmware SVGA 3D (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)

-

List of valid modes reveals support for up to 1280X1024 (32 bit), 85 Hz

Problem is the maximum screen resolution handled using a console session is 1280X768, 85 Hz. Setting a higher resolution reveals a black screen that cannot be seen. Is it possible to get a higher screen resolution, or am I stuck? I'm trying to get a View PCoIP working correctly and I believe this may be a contributing factor. That is, I'm able to establish the connection, but screen turns & stays black.

Default display protocol: PCoIP

Allow users to override the default protocol: False

Adobe Flash quality: Do not control

Adobe Flash throttling: Disabled

Thanks for any help you can provide.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andr3y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In my env I had following issue:

Check in your VM if Video memory = 4 mb, if it is please check your Video Card Total Video RAM from VC/ESX management, if it is something like 36.18 (Thats what i had), change it to 32/64 (valid integer). Fixed my issue for both XP and Win 7 VM's.

Cheers,

Andr3y

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your console settings when looking through vCenter have no direct bearing on your PCoIP session really. A black screen is a sign of an improperly installed View Agent.

This most likely will resolve your issue:

- Uninstall the View Agent

- Reboot

- Reinstall the View Agent

- Reboot

WP

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Also make sure your View Client and Agent versions match as well. That also could be it.

WP

0 Kudos
pmcwhor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I have already tried uninstalling/reinstalling the View Agent and encountered the same results. From an XP client on the same ESX host, I am able to freely adjust screen resolutions to any level without problem. So far, I've only encountered this problem with Windows 7.

Even though I posted this in the View forum, I believe this could also fit in a generic VM forum.

0 Kudos
pmcwhor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here are the versions of View I'm using.

View Client version 4.0.0.1796

View Agent version 4.0.0.1796

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

XP uses a different driver than Win7 and View uses a different driver from standard ESX Win7 tools.

If you see a black screen when you establish a PCoIP session from View. It actually is very specific to View and not likely a generic VM problem.

Can you confirm I understand your problem? The way I read it is not clear.

Problem One:

>> Problem is the maximum screen resolution handled using a console session is 1280X768, 85 Hz. Setting a higher resolution reveals a black screen

>> that cannot be seen.

This is very specific to vCenter console. It could be that setting it higher to the point its black is a bug and when you do so does cause a problem with Win7 using PCoIP. There are several bugs there in the Tech Preview. It should not matter but, if from the console you drop the resolution down, log off and connect with View can you establish a PCoIP session?

Problem two:

>> I'm trying to get a View PCoIP working correctly and I believe this may be a contributing factor. That is, I'm able to establish the connection, but >>screen turns & stays black.

If you drop the resolution in the console settings above, log off and connect using PCoIP do you still get a black screen?

If you do not get a black screen does the resolution adjust properly? If not what do you get?

Are you trying to get a single monitor or multimonitor PCoIP session going with Win 7

Those are not the client and agent versions. You need to check the properties of an executable from the client and agent installs under Program Files. From any exe in the client or agent install dir. Check the properties, details and the Product Version = Build

WP

0 Kudos
pmcwhor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I listed the file versions of both products correctly. The corresponding product versions (build numbers) also match.

There are two display-related problems that I'm trying to resolve. Both problems relate to a Windows 7 VM. Firstly, without even using View, display (console) doesn't give high enough screen resolutions, even though the hardware is reporting that it can (black screen results).

The second problem relates to using pcoip that connectivity does not show the actual screen. The most common experience is the screen will turn black for 10 seconds then drop my connection. I originally though this was related to the first problem, but I'm not sure now. When I use RDP to the Windows 7 VM's, I don't experience any screen resolution or connectivity problems. Windows Firewall is turned off on the VM's.

Adjusting screen resolutions to below desired results sounds a bit unusual. I'm trying to get any number of screens working correctly with pcoip. If I can get any of them to work, I'll be happy.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It also sounds like the ESX VM has not been re-configured for the appropriate amount of VRAM.

That should have happened automatically, though it's possible something is getting in the way. If you could post the contents of the .vmx file for the VM that would be helpful.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Despite the local console settings, why can't you use remote desktop for Windows 7? It's much faster and easier than using the console..

0 Kudos
pmcwhor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Attached is the applicable portion of the vmx file.

0 Kudos
pmcwhor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm experimenting with the new pcoip settings that promise better WAN performance. The console portion mentioned is just a sideline item.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok, looks like your VM is configured for 1024x768x2.

You should change the pool settings and bump up the resolution to e.g. 1920x1200x2 which should give you enough headroom to use a wide variety of resolutions on the client.

0 Kudos
pmcwhor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same result as before using View Client (pcoip). Bumping pool settings up to 1920x1200x2 yields black screen for about 15 seconds, then disconnects. View warning message posted below. The client properly initiates the connection, then leaves my session open disconnected.

(97458F848CE85616C5986F7C649BEC51) Problem starting channel 0 for Port2: Failed to allocate onbound connection to 10.0.9.50:32111 - java.net.SocketTimeoutException: makeSocketConnection timed out com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.ao.d(SourceFile:881)

com.vmware.vdi.ob.tunnelservice.bj: Failed to allocate onbound connection to 10.0.9.50:32111 - java.net.SocketTimeoutException: makeSocketConnection timed out

at com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.c.(SourceFile:61)

at com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.ao.d(SourceFile:857)

at com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.ao.c(SourceFile:645)

at com.vmware.vdi.ob.tunnelservice.t.run(SourceFile:830)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

0 Kudos
Andr3y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In my env I had following issue:

Check in your VM if Video memory = 4 mb, if it is please check your Video Card Total Video RAM from VC/ESX management, if it is something like 36.18 (Thats what i had), change it to 32/64 (valid integer). Fixed my issue for both XP and Win 7 VM's.

Cheers,

Andr3y

0 Kudos
pmcwhor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Andr3y, you pointed me in the right direction. The total video RAM on my VM was 35.19. As soon as I changed the video RAM to "Auto-detect video settings" I was able to successfully use either RDP or pcoip to connect to the vm. I updated my template and it is working great!

0 Kudos
TK22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awsome Andr3y ! That worked for me too. Thanks.

0 Kudos