9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2010 1:14 PM by newbie93

Laptop + LPT (on Docking station) == work???

newbie93 Hot Shot

Setup:

Host: 6.5.3 on Windows XP SP3 (laptop + docking station)

Guest: Debian 5.03 (doesn't really matter)...

After I add the parallel port(with the laptop docked, obviously), and start the VM, I get the error:

Jan 04 09:58:53.723: vmx| parallel0: Using auto detect backend LPT1.

Jan 04 09:58:53.723: vmx| parallel0: FAIL to open the parallel port driver
      .\Global\VMparport1 error 0x2 in ParallelHost_DeviceConnect()

Jan 04 09:58:53.723: vmx| Msg_Post: Error

Jan 04 09:58:53.723: vmx| http://msg.parallel.badDriver Cannot open VMparport driver for LPT1: The operation completed successfully

Jan 04 09:58:53.723: vmx| http://msg.device.badconnect Failed to connect virtual device parallel0.

I did a search on LPT, parallel port, found very little.

Questions:

1). When I installed VMWare, I did not have the docking station attached. Does this cause a problem? I will reinstall with it docked, if somebody thinks that will help

2). I understand about the limitations of peripherals being on the "motherboard". Does a docking station constitute a motherboard or an external peripheral?

The properties (on the host), lists it as:

"on Intel(R) ICH9M-E LPC Interface Controller - 2917" so, I think it is considered part of the motherboard.

Also, the driver installed is the standard XP OS driver:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\parport.sys"

I tried both autodetect and specifying the existing port (LPT1).

3) vmware tools are NOT installed in any of the guests. - Is this required?

4) Also tried logging into host with admin privileges (Normally I run as a user on the host). Didn't seem to make any difference.

Any suggestions?

Workstation 7.x isn't an option right now (way too many bugs for me right now)

Thanks.