terryxela
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No shared folders guest opensuse 11.2 host opensuse.11.2

ref: VMware workstation 7

host:opensuse 11.2 KDE 4.3.1

guest:opensuse 11.2

WS is working well, I can see the folders in an XP guest, I can not see them in an opensuse 11.2 guest. I enable the folders, the VMtools are installed and when it boot the message says the MVtools are installed. The creation of the shared folders is OK. opensuse 11.2 guest does not have installalled any of the opensource vmware files. When I look under /mnt hgfs does not exist.

Otherwise opensuse 11.2 guest is working very well.

I wonder if anybody has as a guest opensuse 11.2 and shared folders? or even fedora 12. Seems that the problem is not in VMware but in the distro SElinxu ?? or something else.

TIA

-=terry=-

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I wonder if anybody has as a guest opensuse 11.2 and shared folders?

Yeah, does the same thing with Ubuntu host. If you try to disable/enable shares with the guest running, you will also get a runtime error.

Workaround:

Disable Shared Folders

open terminal and "sudo mkdir /mnt/hgfs"

Enable Shared Folders

Works here.

Edit:

I should add that it worked from Terminal, took another look and it seems broken from file manager. I almost never use shared folders, I have Samba server running on my host and use that. More reliable and available on my LAN. I do almost all file sharing, on this network and others, via Samba Server running on Linux.

Lou

Message was edited by: louyo

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I wonder if anybody has as a guest opensuse 11.2 and shared folders?

Yeah, does the same thing with Ubuntu host. If you try to disable/enable shares with the guest running, you will also get a runtime error.

Workaround:

Disable Shared Folders

open terminal and "sudo mkdir /mnt/hgfs"

Enable Shared Folders

Works here.

Edit:

I should add that it worked from Terminal, took another look and it seems broken from file manager. I almost never use shared folders, I have Samba server running on my host and use that. More reliable and available on my LAN. I do almost all file sharing, on this network and others, via Samba Server running on Linux.

Lou

Message was edited by: louyo

0 Kudos
terryxela
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Lou,

That's perfect. I've never though in that solution. Most likely the dev did not look into the permission to create the folder.

Thanks much.

All the best

-terry=-

0 Kudos