VMware Horizon Community
mgmn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View 4 w/PCoIP right Shift key and numberpad doesn't work

Hi All,

I am having some odd behavior with the right shift key and the number pad. This occurs when using View 4 only with PCoIP. When using RDP to connect to a system and when using the console in vSphere.

To illustrate the differences in how this is behaving I have typed the following string into a RDP session and a vSphere Console Session.

"@@@ @@@ 123 123"

^ This is right shift + "2" key three times, left shift +"2" key three times,"123" on the top of the keyboard, and 123 on the number pad.

You see that while in RDP the right shift key doesnt work, and while in the console session the num pad is behaving like the arrow keys or end, pg dn. (aka acting like numlock is off)

VMWare tools are installed on the VMs in question. I have tried turning numlock on and off with no change in behavior.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No I don't believe the numpad issue has been reported. But I have reported it now. I'll let you know if we have any further questions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are you starting an RDP session from your PCoIP session? In that case, we are aware of certain Shift keys not working. See here: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1431566

mgmn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ah, I see. So it is a known bug. I did a search on shift key + rdp and didnt find any posts.

Is the issue with the number pad known as well?

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No I don't believe the numpad issue has been reported. But I have reported it now. I'll let you know if we have any further questions.

0 Kudos
mgmn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your assistance!

-Matt

0 Kudos
mcanseco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello!
I have the same problem, have
you found a solution?
Thank you!

0 Kudos
SWCS833
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What is the status of this issue? Has it been resolved in 4.0.1? If not, what is the ETA?

0 Kudos
SWCS833
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Right shift key fixed!

To fix the right shift key within a RDP session when using PCoIP, set the following registry key.

HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware Input DevTap and

add the DWORD key/value

keyname: EnableRShiftSubstitution

value: 1

Thanks WP!

0 Kudos
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah, no more password lockouts - at least due to this. Thanks!!

0 Kudos
danielfaulkner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Defiant

I have tried this fix but am still getting the issue with the right shift key, am i right this key needs addining to the PCoIP machine you are connecting from or the machine you are RDP'ing to?

Thanks

0 Kudos
SWCS833
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Make sure you are putting this key on the VM. Once it is in place, reboot the VM to make sure the setting gets picked up.

0 Kudos
danielfaulkner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Brilliant thank you, i have also added EnableLShiftSubstitution as well, this has solved our left Shift+Tab issues as well

0 Kudos
lhundt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Interesting, I made the registry changes and no luck. I am working off of a Samsung NC240 PCoIP monitor as my main office computer. I constantly remote desktop into servers and have been bitten by the Right-Shift key bug. I am using View 4.0.0, does the registry change only apply in 4.0.1? My brain is going crazy having to think about using the left shift key constantly to capitalize letters. Thoughts? Thanks!

Lance

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Lance,

Yes, this registry setting is new for 4.0.1 and won't work in 4.0.0 unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Rovimute
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running View Agent 4.0.1,, The registry key does not exist..

I tried adding the section / key, and it is ignored..

NEXT ??

No right shift makes VDI useless.... We run RDP in VDI all day, every user..

HELP !!

0 Kudos