VMware Cloud Community
santosh42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Add more space to the existing virtual disk

Hi,

I have a VM which has a virtual disk of capacity 40 GB and is used as a disk drive on my VM.

Now, since the memory space is reaching the limit, i need to add more storage.

My question is: Can we add more storage to the existing disk on the VM ?

or, do i need to add entirely a new virtual disk to the VM of the capacity that i wish.

Please help with answers Smiley Happy

Thanks

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Hi, which VMware product and version are you using?

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
santosh42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Neil,

I am using ESXi 4. I have deployed a VM running RHEL 5.

Please let me know if you need more details.

Thanks

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

If you edit the vm settings from the vSphere client and highlight the hard disk on the left will be the size, just increase it to the size you want. This will extend the size of the virtual disk file (vmdk). You'll need to now extend the disk from inside your vm - I'm not a nix guy but http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/53924 might help or I'm sure another communnity member will be able to help

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
mokymura
Expert
Expert

Hi

The other option is to run the VMWare Converter 4.0.1 on that machine and try to resize the disk from the wizard.

Not sure if the version of the Linux is supported...but you can try Smiley Wink

Regards

Si encuentras esta u otras respuesta útiles, por favor considera el asignar puntos seleccionando la respuesta como útil o correcta

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct.

Si encuentras esta u otras respuesta útiles, por favor considera el asignar puntos seleccionando la respuesta como útil o correcta If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct.
0 Kudos
santosh42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks a lot for the answers. what about the data residing on the

existing virtual disk. will tat be overwritten in the process of

adding space to the disk? or wil tat remain intact no matter we add

extra space to the disk?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mokymura
Expert
Expert

Hi

data won´t be deleted, what you do is expand the vmdk file, and after expand the partition.

in windows is: diskpart -> extend the existing partition adding the extension as free space

Regards.

Si encuentras esta u otras respuesta útiles, por favor considera el asignar puntos seleccionando la respuesta como útil o correcta

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct.

Si encuentras esta u otras respuesta útiles, por favor considera el asignar puntos seleccionando la respuesta como útil o correcta If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct.
0 Kudos
AndrewWiggin
Contributor
Contributor

What do you do if the HD Size is grayed out even when the VM is shutdown?

0 Kudos
mokymura
Expert
Expert

Hi

Could you verify that the disk/VM doesn´t have any snapshot? with snapshots you cannot extend disk.

Please check on the snapshot manager and also browsing the datastore: if you find any -00000x.vmkd file.

Regards

0 Kudos
AndrewWiggin
Contributor
Contributor

mokymura wrote:

Could you verify that the disk/VM doesn´t have any snapshot? with snapshots you cannot extend disk.

That was it! Thank you sir.

0 Kudos