VMware Communities
Drithius
Contributor
Contributor

Is "stretching" resolution (on a guest) possible under Player?

Hello,

I've googled for that past 2 hours and the closest I've come to an answer regarding this issue are some unresolved posts in this forum. Is it possible to stretch video and/or games on a monitor so that 1 particular resolution is full screen regardless? And not have it instead be restricted to a tiny window utilizing the host's native resolution? I have VMware tools (as presented in Player) installed.

is this feature only available on Workstation? I would greatly appreciate any leads.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Drithius, I'm sorry, but I believe that you're correct and that having vmplayer use a stretched fullscreen resolution rather than centered or auto-fit is not currently possible. This is possible in Workstation, as you've noted.

0 Kudos
bdeleeuw
Contributor
Contributor

I found a solution and just created a guide: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-16772

0 Kudos
ed168
Contributor
Contributor

After searching for a while, I'm extremely disappointed that the only viable method is to use a 3rd party application.

As the Player is a free, they probably wanted keep certain funcationality exclusive to their commercial program.

Tried out VM Workstation 8 on a 30-day license and found there is a "stretch guest display" but only in full screen and does not retain the guest's aspect ratio. If playing old games that just distorts the image making it unappealing.

If there was at least an option to choose to keep the aspect ratio or not that'd make it worthwhile but it seems the devs decided to force it on everyone. Ideally you should be able to control wether or not to stretch the display and able to keep or ignore the aspect ratio regardless if in windowed or full screen mode similar to a video player.

0 Kudos