VMware Cloud Community
NCSteve
Contributor
Contributor

ESX vs ESXi on the HCL

What is the difference between ESX 4.0 and ESXi 4.0 that would cause ESX 4.0 to be listed as supported on a specific server and not ESXi 4.0? And does anybody know if I would get shot down because my server (HP DL160 G6) is not listed as supported by ESXi 4.0? I don't want to pay for a support ticket just to be told it is not on the HCL.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

This may just be that the server hasn't yet passed the certification with ESXi.

HP Supported Servers doesn't list it either yet. As for support I would think you would get best effort rather than turned down especially since there is full support by both HP and VMware for ESX.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Just looking at the HP website for drivers on the DL160 I could make a small guess at a potential reason. It is possible that at this point the HP CIM modules are not compatible with the onboard components.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
NCSteve
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure what you mean by a CIM module?

Thanks for the reply.

-Steve

0 Kudos
enDemand
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree with DSTAVERT. This is similar to this thread. This may sound sort of like a conspiracy theory, so to speak, but I don't think ESXi will show as supported for a particular server platform until the OEM signs off on it. Remember that ESXi means both the "installable" edition as well as "embedded". VMware doesn't fully control the embedded scenario, so even if the installable works, I don't think they can label it as "supported" until the OEM is willing to go support the "embedded" option as well. At least that's my opinion when it comes to HP. Since the big-3 OEMs basically release their own tweaked version with their CIM modules (similar to System Insight agents for HP, System Director agents for IBM, etc.), my guess is that HP is still working on both the DL160 G6 and the DL180 G6...and that the supported status is on the horizon. About your support call concern, though, I've had a couple of tickets opened on these non-HCL systems and VMware provided support. Call it lucky, maybe, but it could simply come down to the support technician that helps you. What I've recommended to customers is to go with the fully-loaded ESX 4 for now and plan for the transition to ESXi 4 once support is available.

If you find this or any other answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos