There's a quick fix here.
Just a guess, but I think it has something to do with computers not being on a domain. I'm logged into my local Windows 7 system using the same username/password as my domain user, and I connect to network resources using that. To spite the fact that my computer is not on the doman, I can see in the VMWare status window that it's using DOMAIN\user instead of just the user to start the VM. Perhaps when the VMWare services auto-start the domain hasn't been authenticated to yet, hence the account is not valid.
Original text from that site:
Today I stumbled upon an issue in VMWare Server 2.0 problem today on a client’s server. I could log into the web administration console of VMWare Server, and I could manage the VMs from there without a problem.
The issue came when I tried to open the console window on one of the VMs from within the VMWare admin console. The Console window opened, but after a few moments I saw: “Unable to connect to the MKS: Login (username/password) incorrect”
I tried creating a desktop shortcut for the VM (from the VM’s summary pane), but still ran into the same problem.
Shortly after unsuccessfully googling the error, I discovered the solution myself. I simply restarted the following Services:
– VMWare Authorization Service
– VMWare Server Web Access
(In the process it restarts another one or two services, but does not interrupt any active VMs).
After the service restart, the VM console windows opened without any problems.
Welcome to the forums?
Does the problem still exist?
If so, which host OS do you use? With which user do you log on to the VMware Server? Is that user authorized to run the virtual machine?
VCP 3 & 4
=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=
=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=
CAn you verify the guest OS compatiblity list for product. Please verify your guest OS has been supported for you version.
just in case somebody still uses vmware server2, I had the same error here, but it was caused by the client
running ~/.mozilla/firefox/Profiles/something.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmware.com/plugins/vmware-vmrc -h "184.108.40.206:443" -K -u username -p password gave me the error: ~/.mozilla/firefox/Profiles/something.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmware.com/plugins/bin/libdir/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory VMware Remote Console Plug-in Error: VMware Remote Console Plug-in unrecoverable error: (mks) SSLLoadSharedLibrary: Failed to load library libcrypto.so.0.9.8:~/.mozilla/firefox/Profiles/something.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmware.com/plugins/bin/libdir/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory Please request support. To collect data to submit to VMware support, run "vm-support". We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement. Press "Enter" to continue... the quick fix was: # mkdir ~/.mozilla/firefox/Profiles/something.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmware.com/plugins/bin/libdir/ && ln -s ~/.mozilla/firefox/Profiles/something.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmware.com/plugins/lib ~/.mozilla/firefox/Profiles/something.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmware.com/plugins/bin/libdir/
(just create the missing dir and link ../../lib inside)
This may also be a DNS issue. Try pinging your ESXi host by name. If you get no response make sure there is a DNS host entry for your ESXi.
I had this same issue in VMware Fusion in my home lab. It was due to a DNS mismatch: my Mac Mini was using google nameserver 220.127.116.11 but my ESXi host, vCSA6 and all Windows VM's are using the private IP (like 192.168.1.2) of the domain controller for DNS. This is how forward and reverse lookup works for the vCenter appliance (vCSA6), so you must use it for DNS. Once I set my Mac Mini to use the domain controller VM (192.168.1.2, as an example) for DNS, then forward and reverse DNS lookup for vCenter worked and this error went away.
You just put host entry of the esxi server in your dns of local desktop.
After that problem has been resolved.