VMware Cloud Community
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Remote Update Manager server with different http port

To make it simple, I think I might have a couple of issues, but I installed the update manager on a remote server (not on the VC server) and since it also runs the WSUS updates, I couldn't use port 80 for the http port so I changed it to 81. I'm having issues with the VC connecting to the update manager server. I can't download the plug-in to enable. Also I noticed that there was a full install of 2.5u3 done on our VC server, which also included update manager. Do I need to uninstall that before the new one would link up?

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

i'm tryin'

I did find something new though

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hi Kule,

you should uninstall 2.5u3 for sure and then try to reinstall the new VUM4.0. Also check the firewall between VUM client and servers if you have one

thanks,

Petko

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

uninstall any other VUM instance you have running, it may be conflicting with the one you have installed new. Then what I would do is go back and do a repair on the new VUM instance and ensure it's pointing the the correct VCMS instance.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

you should uninstall 2.5u3 for sure and then try to reinstall the new VUM4.0. Also check the firewall between VUM client and servers if you have one

Petko

We're still running VC 2.5U3, will the new version 4.0 be able to link up with a 2.5u3 VC? I would've thought you needed the corresponding VC to run the latest version of VUM

• Kyle

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

it's a 1 to 1 mapping. Plus, you can't install a vSphere4 VUM into a 2.5 instance.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Ok so I was able to uninstall the VUM from the vCenter server, and I did a repair on the VUM installation on the remote server (which is also running wsus). I'm still getting an "unable to connect to remote server" error when I try and download the plug-in. When I did the installation of VUM, it asks for all the ports such as HTTP and HTTPS, since I'm already running WSUS on the server, port 80 was taken so I changed the port to 81 on the VUM instance. Could that be an issue? I would've thought it would've connected to the vCenter server and hosted all that information where to connect to it from, etc..

Thoughts?

• Kyle

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

That was pretty funny, vmroyale sent me the same KB a minute or two after you posted it. So that worked to get me able to download the client but now I'm having issues enabling it. I'm getting the attached error.

• Kyle

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

we're getting closer

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003602

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003602

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

atleast the two of us are on the same page Smiley Happy

vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yeah, it seems to be a recurring theme lately!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

So I looked through that article and didn't find anything that needed to be changed. I thought maybe the account name for accessing the database could've been wrong so I went through and tweeked with some things and now it seems like the whole connection to the vc is screwy. I'm thinking that maybe its something to do with the connection to the SQL database, might be just easier to install the free local version of SQL and not deal with this headache, especially if we are going to have to move the database in order to get ready for ESX4. Kind of forgot to do a snapshot so hopefully I can get this server back online without having to restore it =/.

• Kyle

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Ok I got my system back online w/o having to restore which was nice. I uninstalled everything and created a snapshot and I'm in the process of doing it again. I installed it, linked it to the SQL database and change the HTTP port to 9080, left the HTTPS port to 443, and added the looks correct. any other thoughts?

• Kyle

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

i'm tryin'

I did find something new though

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

:smileygrin: Thanks Troy I know you were trying hard

Actually that last KB I think did the trick. What I didn't have on our SQL database was a service account for the VUM to use to access the database. I haven't had to do that for any of the other ODBC connections so it was fairly new to me shrug just created a new user for the VUM SQL Database and gave it dbo rights. Its all connected and downloading the signatures right now. Hopefully ~30 hours this weekend is enough time for it to download all the updates before Monday morning Heart

Thanks again for all your help

• Kyle

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

good news!!!

0 Kudos