VMware Cloud Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

Storage Motion via plugin in VC2.5

We have an ESX 3.5 host that was setup with 6 vDisks , each located on separate FC LUN locations. We recently had to perform maintenance on the SAN and I storage motioned the disks to temporary locations. After the maintenance was done, I attempted to perform storage motion again and place the individual vDisks back into their previous locations. I am not able to do it. Seems storage motion wants to keep all the disks together on the same LUN. How do I solve this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you used this tool?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vip-svmotion/#

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

yes. that is the plugin I'm using

0 Kudos
rubensluque
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You can run svmotion in interactive mode. During the process you will be asked to choose if you want to move all disks or only one disk.

the sintax is: svmotion.pl --interactive

rgds

0 Kudos
Matt_B1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I used that plugin a few months back. It works well when you can get it to think the storage vmotion has enough free space. The math it uses was not correct more than 50% of the time so it would not allow a storage vmotion that would work. In the end, I used the perl script from the RCLI in interactive mode and it works fine everytime.

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

I tried svmotion --interactive and I got the same results.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Anything interesting in your ESX logs ( /var/log/vmkernel and /var/log/vmkwarning ) ?

0 Kudos