VMware Communities
r623
Contributor
Contributor

Enable virtualization extensions from the OS?

Is there a way to enable virtualization extensions from the operating system (Windows, Linux, BSD, whatever) without having to go into the BIOS? This is assuming that the hardware supports it, of course. I'm looking to mass-enable this on hundreds of computers and would rather not have to go into the BIOS on each just to enable VT. Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

No there is not. Not even will you have to reboot and change the setting in BIOS, you will also need to completly power cycle (turn off completely and turn on again) the system after enabling the feature in BIOS.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
r623
Contributor
Contributor

So it turns out there is a solution for Dell equpiment for Windows and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (and CentOS) hosts. Look for the --virtualization options in the following links.

Dell OpenManage Deployment Toolkit (DTK, for servers): http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/dtk/

Dell Client Configuration Toolkit (CCTK, for desktops): http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/sitelets/solutions/management/client_mgmt_utilities?c...

I'm not sure about having to pull the power plug or not (managed PDUs might help here...), but I've verified this does set the appropriate setting in the BIOS. If anyone knows of an HP equivalent, you're my hero.

0 Kudos
r623
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, so I found how to do this for HP equipment also:

BIOS Configuration for HP ProtectTools

It should be on the same page as downloading drivers for your system.

0 Kudos
r623
Contributor
Contributor

Also, it would be nice if HP provided documentation for anything that they do. I have been unable to find real documentation for this product even after talking with HP support. Maybe it's just HP's horrible website that hides everything from me and their own employees.

And a big thanks to Dell for documenting everything (seriously).

0 Kudos