VMware Communities
stooley73
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Create Image of Mac Host

I'm running Fusion 2 on Mac Snow Leopard. How do I use Fusion to take an image of my Snow Leopard host?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Per Apple's EULA, only Leopard and Snow Leopard server can be run in a virtual machine. "Desktop" OSX is not allowed to be run as a virtual machine. With that, VMWare only supports running OSX 10.5 Server and later as a VM. So the first issue is whether you're running OSX server or not.

Additionally, Fusion by itself does not have any feature set or mechanism to run or convert the host OSX as a virtual machine. All Fusion has is the ability to use an existing Boot Camp physical partition as a virtual machine. But not the existing OSX partition. I suppose if you had mutliple bootable OSX partitions on one host, then perhaps you could have Fusion run one of those partitions as a virtual machine. (I haven't seen anyone post that they've done that yet.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Per Apple's EULA, only Leopard and Snow Leopard server can be run in a virtual machine. "Desktop" OSX is not allowed to be run as a virtual machine. With that, VMWare only supports running OSX 10.5 Server and later as a VM. So the first issue is whether you're running OSX server or not.

Additionally, Fusion by itself does not have any feature set or mechanism to run or convert the host OSX as a virtual machine. All Fusion has is the ability to use an existing Boot Camp physical partition as a virtual machine. But not the existing OSX partition. I suppose if you had mutliple bootable OSX partitions on one host, then perhaps you could have Fusion run one of those partitions as a virtual machine. (I haven't seen anyone post that they've done that yet.)

0 Kudos
dp_fusion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You will need a copy of Mac Snow Leopard Server edition. The desktop version is not legal to virtualize.

Edit: Hmm - stale cache - asatoran's already answered.

Tyomni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

But You can always go for hackintosh, hm, I didn't write this, just my cat set on the keyboard...

0 Kudos