Contributor
Jump to solution

[Q] Create an internal network using Vmware 6.5

I have the following two images:

Image ONE: (Ubuntu Image)

NIC 1: Connected to bridged mode.

NIC 2: I want this NIC to be connected to a different network call it "local"

Image TWO: (NO OS Installed, yet)

NIC 1: I want this NIC to be connected to a different network called "local", and the MAC address is AABBCCDDEEFF

In VirtualBox I can connect to internal network and name it, I can also change the MAC address of the Vimage before it boots.

Is there a way to do this using VMW 6.5?

Thanks much

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Use the "Host only" network. This is just a private network for virtual machines, and they can only communicate with the host and other virtual machines attached to this network.

I guess the net result is that this specific virtual machine is a gateway of some form.

NIC 1: I want this NIC to be connected to a different network called "local", and the MAC address is AABBCCDDEEFF

So the question will be if the NIC2 from Image One and NIC1 from Image Two are on the same network? If so, then just set Image Two's NIC to host only as well.

If Image Two needs to have it's own personal space, then you'll need to enable another host only network. I think you can do this under the Network Editor (Edit Menu, or Start Menu) and then enable a new host only network on a specific VMNet. Once you have a new network enable (say VMnet5), then set this virtual machine's NIC to "Custom" and VMNet5.

NOTE: The MAC address is generated the first time a virtual machine is booted after creation, so it doesn't conflict with other virtual machines on the same system. I wouldn't suggest modifying it, but you can see it in the VMX file via Notepad or Nano/VI.

br>
Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Use the "Host only" network. This is just a private network for virtual machines, and they can only communicate with the host and other virtual machines attached to this network.

I guess the net result is that this specific virtual machine is a gateway of some form.

So the question will be if the NIC2 from Image One and NIC1 from Image Two are on the same network? If so, then just set Image Two's NIC to host only as well.

If Image Two needs to have it's own personal space, then you'll need to enable another host only network. I think you can do this under the Network Editor (Edit Menu, or Start Menu) and then enable a new host only network on a specific VMNet. Once you have a new network enable (say VMnet5), then set this virtual machine's NIC to "Custom" and VMNet5.

NOTE: The MAC address is generated the first time a virtual machine is booted after creation, so it doesn't conflict with other virtual machines on the same system. I wouldn't suggest modifying it, but you can see it in the VMX file via Notepad or Nano/VI.

br>
Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos