VMware Cloud Community
SandyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Help? scan datastore then register all vmx

Hi guys i am trying to automate my companies DR for VMware.

we replicate 8 vmware luns using our normal SAN technology and i have scripted taking a view on the latest PIT (point in time snapshot) and assigning it to 4 esx host that are in the the DataCenter "DR" and the cluster "DR Cluster"

I can use the PowerCLI to issue a rescan

get-vmhost | get-vmhoststorage -rescanallhba

this should make the datastores all pop in. (vmfs1,vmfs2,vmfs3 etc)

can i use the PowerCLI

$vmxpath = get-datastorefiles (get-datastore vmfs1) |

where { $_.Path -match '.vmx$' } | select path | % { Register-VM $_.Path

-vmhost (get-vmhost dresx.company.com) }

is there a way to register a VM to a cluster rather than a host? that way i dont need to worry about which ESX is being used for which VM, i can just let DRS deal with it when they are powered on.

Is there a simple way to tie these scripts together? is it possible to power all the VMs on and answer the VM question on wether to keep the uuid?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Have a look at , it contains a script to search a datastore for unregistered guests.

Yes, you can use a cluster by not specifying a host to the RegisterVM_Task method, provided the cluster is configured for DRS.

For answering guest questions see .

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Have a look at , it contains a script to search a datastore for unregistered guests.

Yes, you can use a cluster by not specifying a host to the RegisterVM_Task method, provided the cluster is configured for DRS.

For answering guest questions see .

0 Kudos
smccreadie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Quick question about rescanning hosts with powershell. I notice that using

Get-Cluster -Name $Cluster | Get-VMHost | Get-VMHostStorage -RescanAllHba -RescanVmfs

results in the hosts being rescanned one at a time, in a serial fashion. It waits until one rescan task is done before it starts the next host. I notice that when i run the rescan function in the vspher VIC it seems to be able to scan all the hosts concurrently. Is there a way to do this in powershell? Thanks as always

Sean

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I would not recommend rescanning all datastores at the same time. I know it's a lot quicker but it does cause a certain level of stress on your environment that you would want to avoid at anytime.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter: (*NEW*)

Available Soon: vSphere Quick Start Guide ()

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
smccreadie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great thanks for the recommendation. I was hoping to use this in our DR environment for some failover automation, hopefully that would be a use where it would be OK? Does anyone know how to do this in Powershell? Thanks

Sean

0 Kudos
RobMokkink
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

For DR purposes, rescanning the datastores like that shouldn't be a problem.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you use the RescanHba method, you will have to wait till the scan is finished before you can start the next one.

There is no _Task version of this method!

The only way to bypass this apparently built-in feature is to use PowerShell v2 and use the Start-Process cmdlet.

In PowerShell v1 you could use the Community Extensions which also offer a Start-Process cmdlet.

0 Kudos
RobMokkink
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can loop through each host in the cluster use a rescanhba. That would be an option?

0 Kudos
smccreadie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Im pretty new to scripting, does anyone know the basic syntax to using the Start-Process cmdlet to rescan all the datastores? I have Windows 7 with Powershell v2 installed and verified the Start-Process cmdlet is there. Thanks for the great help.

Sean

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Rob, the RescanHba method doesn't come back to your script until the scan is finished.

You can loop through all your HBAs and launch the RescanHba with a Start-Process cmdlet.

You're in fact launching each RescanHba in it's own thread.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From the top of my head I would tackle it this way.

-) in the main script loop through all the HBAs

-) for each HBA call a separate script through the Start-Process cmdlet, with the HBA as parameter, that will launch the RescanHba method

If you want I can give you some actual PowerShell code later Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
smccreadie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Perfect! I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes, thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
smccreadie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

LucD,

I have tried to craft a way to do this using the Start-Job cmdlet available in Powershell 2. I am trying to rescan all hosts in a cluster at the same time and not wait for each host scan to complete before the next one begins. Im having trouble getting it to runcorrectly andI cant find a wholelot of examples of this cmdlet online. Ive been trying stuff like this below with no success, i obviously have no clue how to use this cmdlet. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Connect-ViServer "Vcenter"

$hosts = Get-Cluster "name of cluster" | Get-Vmhost

foreach ($machine in $hosts) {

Start-Job -ScriptBlock {

Add-PSSnapin Vmware.VimAutomation.Core

Connect-VIServer "Vcenter"

Get-Cluster "name of cluster" | Get-VMHost $machine | Get-VMHostStorage -RescanAllHba -RescanVmfs

Disconnect-VIServer -Confirm:$false

}

}

0 Kudos