14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 7:52 PM by raducotescu

Patch for Kernel 2.6.31

stka1 Novice

Will ther be a patch for the new Kernel 2.6.31 64bit for the actual vmware-server? Or is there allready a solution?

• 1. Re: Patch for Kernel 2.6.31
          janlib Expert

Hi,

Have you read that thread Here is patch for 2.6.30 kernel for VMware Server 2.0.1 build-156745 x_64

J.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

• 2. Re: Patch for Kernel 2.6.31
            stka1 Novice

Kernel 2.6.30 ist NOT the problem. With the kernel 2.6.30 VMware Server 2 is running. The kernel 2.6.31 is the problem.

• 3. Re: Patch for Kernel 2.6.31
              MattTheRat Lurker

I can confirm that the fix posted for 2.6.30 does not work for 2.6.31

Is there another patch in the works or are we going to have to hold back kernel upgrades?

• 4. Re: Patch for Kernel 2.6.31
                aozora Lurker

Try the patch for kernel 2.6.30.4, midway down this page: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/215985?start=15&tstart=0

This worked for me - now I am running the latest 64-bit VMware Server 2.0.1 on kernel 2.6.31 (64-bit Ubuntu 9.04) just fine.  Make sure you follow the directions in the succeeding posts when patching the modules.

• 5. Re: Patch for Kernel 2.6.31
                  stka1 Novice

But here it wount compile. See the errormessage below:

-

Trying to compile vmnet module to see if it works                                                  

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-0.slh.1-sidux-amd64/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-0.slh.1-sidux-amd64'

CC   /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/driver.o

CC   /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/hub.o

CC   /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/userif.o

CC   /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.o

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c: In function ‘VNetNetIfSetup’:

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c:201: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘init’

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c:202: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘open’

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c:203: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘hard_start_xmit’

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c:204: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘stop’

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c:205: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘get_stats’

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c:206: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘set_mac_address’

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c:207: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘set_multicast_list’

make[2]: *** /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.o Fehler 1

make[1]: *** Fehler 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-0.slh.1-sidux-amd64'

make: *** http://vmnet.ko Fehler 2

Sorry, problem compiling the vmnet module after it was patched

You must restore from this backup directory:

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source-backup

-

Any other suggestion?

• 6. Re: Patch for Kernel 2.6.31
                    aozora Lurker

Make sure you are using the 2.6.30.4-fix script, not the 2.6.30-fix. 

With 2.6.30-fix, I had similar issues only with the vmnet module.

Delete the four tarballs you copied, remove everything under

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/, rerun the vmware installer script, and choose

NOT to run the vmware-config.pl script.  Then copy the four tarballs

back to your patch directory from /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source and run

the 2.6.30.4-fix script.

If it compiles, then you can run the vmware-config.pl script.

• 7. Re: Patch for Kernel 2.6.31
                      stka1 Novice

After using the .4 patch everything ist working again. But I had to patch the files by hand. Because ther was a skript error:

root@stka:~# sh vmware-server.2.0.1_x64-modules-2.6.30.4-fix.sh                                 

vmware-server.2.0.1_x64-modules-2.6.30.4-fix.sh: 30: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting "do")

• 8. Re: Patch for Kernel 2.6.31
                        aozora Lurker

Funny, I did not have that problem.  But I am glad it worked out for you

anyway.  Cheers!

• 9. Re: Patch for Kernel 2.6.31
                          PaulDorman Novice

Hi,

I successfully used the vmware-server.2.0.1_x64-modules-2.6.30.4-fix.patch to build the modules on my laptop running Ubuntu Karmic Koala. VMware Server version is 2.0.1 from  VMware-server-2.0.1-156745.x86_64.tar.gz, and I'm running it with the 2.6.31-10-generic kernel. The issue that I have is that while the web console appears to be running on port 8333, I cannot get a response from it. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Cheers.

• 10. Re: Patch for Kernel 2.6.31
                            pheitman Novice

I realized that the problem was that the script file (and the patch file) had dos newlines (not unix). Use dos2unix to convert the files and that fixes the problem the shell has interpreting the for/do commands.

• 11. Re: Patch for Kernel 2.6.31
                              michelemase Enthusiast

According to the 2.6.30.4 patch I've updated the previous patch of 2.6.30 for the 2.6.31

Instructions: verify that you env. is sane (without any previously applied patches)

Apply the patch for 2.6.30 http://communities.vmware.com/thread/215985

Apply the patch for 2.6.31

Enjoy

ps: My env is Ubunt9.04 x06_64 kernel 2.6.31.4+tuxonicepatch, and the patch worked.

If  "any"  problems, pls read the sh script and modify it on the specs of your env

Regards Michele

• 12. Re: Patch for Kernel 2.6.31
                                mannohmann Lurker

i have kernel version 2.6.31.5 - 32 bit system  and this fixes are not working

after a fresh installation of vmware 2.01 i still get this messages:

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31.5-default/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/kernel-2.6.31.5default'

CC   /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmci-only/linux/driver.o

In file included from /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmci-only/./include/vmci_kernel_if.h:41,

from /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmci-only/linux/driver.c:63:

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmci-only/./include/compat_wait.h:78: error: conflicting types for âpoll_initwaitâ

include/linux/poll.h:70: error: previous declaration of âpoll_initwaitâ was here

make[2]: *** /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmci-only/linux/driver.o Error 1

make[1]: *** Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/kernel-2.6.31.5default'

make: *** http://vmci.ko Error 2

Sorry, problem compiling the vmci module after it was patched

You must restore from this backup directory:

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source-backup

are there someware paches for a 32 bit system an this actual kernel  - i looked arround for 4 hours now but nothing seems to help

thaks for your help

• 13. Re: Patch for Kernel 2.6.31
                                  mannohmann Lurker

just for information ... i use a suse 10.1 guast system

• 14. Re: Patch for Kernel 2.6.31
                                    raducotescu Novice

Using Michele's script, I have built my own script that helps you install VMware Server 2.0.x without having to stop in the middle to apply the patch. More details can be found here:  How to install VMware Server 2.0.x on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala.

I hope that you will find my script useful.

Thank you!