VMware Cloud Community
samprior
Contributor
Contributor

VCenter on same LAN as service console

To ensure HA of my Virtual Center server (including the license server) I intend to install it into a virtual machine. Could someone confirm as to whether that virtual machine could use the same vSwitch and LAN as the service console ports on the ESX server. I would then use the VI client to connect to vCenter and mange not only the server it is running on but several other servers.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lockenkeyster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I am understanding your question correctly, then yes, both the service console port group and the VM network port group on which your vCenter VM resides can exist on the same vSwitch and LAN. However, if you have available network connections, it is best practice to separate management traffic (vmkernel, service console) from your normal VM networks when possible.

0 Kudos
samprior
Contributor
Contributor

I know it's best practice to seperate the management traffic but for reasons to long to explain here we don't want to create a seperate network or VLAN for management. However I want to make clear that I intend on using the same vSwitch for Virtual Center. For example:

vSwitch0 - 2 physical NICS - 1 service console port and the virtual machine that contains vCenter.

vSwitch1 - 2 physical NICS - all other VMs.

vSwitch2 - 2 physical NICS - all iSCSI storage traffic

It this possible i.e. vCenter and service console using the same physical NICs, IP subnet and virtual switch? Sorry just want to be clear. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
lockenkeyster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I can't see a reason why that wouldn't work.

0 Kudos