VMware Cloud Community
RickHodgin2
Contributor
Contributor

VMware does not close when Windows Server 2003 Standard shuts down

I have been using VMware for some time with Windows 2000 Professional. Recently I upgraded all of my developer tools from Visual Studio 2003 Professional to Visual Studio 2008 Professional. VS2008 does not work in Windows 2000, so I had to upgrade to Windows 2003 Server. However, now the VM guest will not close when I shut down that WS2003 machine. I get a gray screen and it just sits there forever. When I go to Troubleshoot -> Power off and quit, it closes just fine. And when WS2003 boots back up it never complains that it was shut down prematurely.

Why isn't it shutting down by itself like W2000P did?

Note: Using Ubuntu 9.04 as host, and VMware Player 2.5.3 build-185404.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you got vmtools installed?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
RickHodgin2
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. Installed VMware tools as one of first things, even before getting latest service packs and patches. The VMware log does not show any errors, nor does WS2003 event log.

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you tried the command shutdown -I?

Than I would perhaps try to reinstall the vmtools?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
RickHodgin2
Contributor
Contributor

Shutdown -I does the same thing (takes me to the gray screen, and hangs).

Reinstalling VMware Tools, how do you do this from VMware Player?

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

do you have an ACPI-kernel or the standard PC kernel ?

Standard PC may not power off - usually it display a message " you can now power of the machine"

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
RickHodgin2
Contributor
Contributor

Continuum, whatever comes with Windows Server 2003. The existing Windows 2000 Professional VM I have shuts down just fine, and always has. The WS2003 does not show the screen "You may now power off the machine" message, and just goes to a gray screen and hangs. The mouse will not even work. I have to press Ctrl+Alt to return mouse control to the host, and then use the menu to Troubleshoot -> Power off and quit, which works.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

can you check with device manager and see what type is listed under "Computer"

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
RickHodgin2
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2003 VM device manager reports: "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC", and does not shut off properly.

Windows 2000 Professional VM device manager reports: "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC", and shuts off properly.

0 Kudos
RickHodgin2
Contributor
Contributor

I found a solution.  Switch to VirtualBox.  It is far more flexible and easy to use in my opinion.  Plus, it's open source.

Best regards,

Rick C. Hodgin

0 Kudos