VMware Communities
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMDKMounter support missing v2.0.5

Installed OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard - from scratch - clean or fresh - to cleat out the accumulated leftovers.

Installed Fusion v2.0.5 Light. MacFuse installed just before with Beta selected.

The install of v2.0.5 did not include VMDKMounter support. Ctrl-Click on a VM bundle does not list VMDKMounter.

Checked Preferences 'Default Apps' - RCDefaultApp package. Could not find VMDKMounter. Rebooted OS X 10.5.8 and checked out 'Default Apps' and many entries for VMDKMounter found.

Back on 10.6.0: Uninstalled and reinstalled v2.0.5 Lite - no change - still no VMDKMounter. Tried uninstalling MacFuse first so that v2.0.5 install wound step thru that section and still no change.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You should find VMDKmounter in /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/. Have you tried to Ctrl+Click the .vmwarevm bundle and choosing Get Info. From the get info window there should be an open with section. From there browse to VMDKmounter's location and select it. Then click change all. Let me know if VMDKmounter isn't found in that location.

ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That 'by-pass' does not cause all the entries as shown by 'Default App' on OS X 10.5.8, just a subset.

It appears that the installation of VMDKMounter support is still incomplete via 205-Light.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

In snow leopard I am taking a look at occurrences where not everything is installed correctly. At this time the working theory is a permissions issue. If you've already repaired permissions on the mac then the next step would be to try a sudo install of the software and then after that enabling root and installing it in there. Let me know if that helps. Don't forget to uninstall Fusion first so it's a clean install attempt.

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have gotten myself into serious trouble with 'sudo' - machine no longer booting.

I would prefer the Terminal command line for pasting.

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I do not notice any difference from using Get Info method.

While Default Apps is not showing as many entries as 10.5.8, the basics are present and 'Open with' is working.

I did state that the scratch install of 10.6.0 was for purpose of cleaning out leftovers. I was thinking that 10.5.8 was bloated.

Thanks for assist.

BTW, glad to see that the pre-release flaming about Snow Leopard and 64bits has died down. I was leery of coming here.

What of bunch of BS! Apple has opened an path for others to prepare their products for the future and yet today's work gets done.

Ooohh. Cant tell if this install method fixed problem or not, because the GetInfo method may have had some leftovers. Another time!

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Turned out I had used one of the Clone Making packages that was not Snow ready.

Restarted the install from scratch (again), but was more selective of tools.

0 Kudos
rwhiffen
Contributor
Contributor

Here's what fixed this for me.

Browsed to "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/" and double clicked the "VMDKmounter.app" to launch it. It asked for my admin password (like usual) but then did nothing. Now when I ctrl+click on a VMDK file the "open with VMDKMounter (default)" option is there and it works as before.

Rich

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The problem turned out I had used a clone package that was not Snow ready.

This was just the 'tip of the iceberg' of corruption of the system.

0 Kudos