VMware Cloud Community
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

SRM "cannot execute scripts" "RSVmGuestShutdown"

Hi all,

I am hoping someone here will be able to help with this one..

Basically I am using SRM to do a Site Failover. All is working fine with the exception of a few VM's which give the following error message during the Test Recovery Process (as shown in the attached screenshot).

The SRM log output for this error is also shown below:

-

YieldableRecoveryTask::DoRun: Unexpected MethodFault (vmodl.fault.SystemError) {

dynamicType = <unset>,

reason = "Cannot execute scripts",

msg = "A general system error occurred: Cannot execute scripts"

}

HandleThrow RSVmGuestShutdown-194238-101 fault (vmodl.fault.SystemError) {

dynamicType = <unset>,

reason = "Cannot execute scripts",

msg = "A general system error occurred: Cannot execute scripts"

-

The VM's with the issues are Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition x32 SP2. These are running on ESX 3.5.0 153875 and have VMware Tools 3.5.0 build-153875 installed.

I have not been able to find any extensive information on the web in regards to this issue so any help is appreciated.

Carl

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I've only seen this in my test environment, seems SRM can not communicate with VMware tools in the guest. The following has resolved it in the past, I didn't dig too much since it was my test environment and i was debugging some other call outs...

1. Re-initialize the storage replication (easy for me since i was only replicating a small VMFS)

2. Restarting the protected VM in the protected site to make sure VMware tools was in a healthy state.

Perhaps a re-install of VMware tools is in order for that VM. Is it happening on just one VM or multiple?

-alex

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response.

The storage replication appears to be working fine and there are no corrupt VM's on the Recovery site. There are 4 x 800Gb LUN's with hourly replication setup and a decent cross site connection.

I have re-installed VMtools on the VM's that have the issues and am restarting them this evening so will have have a look at the results tomorrow when I do another series of SRM failover tests.

I also amended some of the clients VM's vNIC's as there where a few un-necessary/unconnected one's on some of the protected VM's.

The issues is only occurring on 2 VM's.

Carl

0 Kudos
Erwin_Zoer
Contributor
Contributor

It's a little late but this is a known SRM issue:

http://www.vmware.com/support/srm/srm_releasenotes_4_0.html

"*SRM Reports the Error: "Cannot execute

scripts" When Customizing Windows Virtual Machines During

Recovery*

During test recovery or recovery, when Windows guests are