VMware Communities
aaron_sf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

bootcamp can't sleep

I usually have my bootcamp XP vm running all the time on my mac (os x 10.5.8) .. and I have that set to sleep at midnight... and wake at 8am.

However, when it wakes up, the bootcamp vm is frozen .. spinning pizza wheel .. and so I have to forcibly shut it down, which in turn leads me to having to boot in XP and do a chkdsk .... then delete the bootcamp app data over on the osx side..

Q: why can't my bootcamp vm go to sleep nicely when the OSX says it's time to go to sleep?

(latest version of Fusion)

Mac Pro 8-core 4TB HDD 32GB RAM

0 Kudos
2 Replies
aaron_sf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

this is a serious issue ..... woud appreciate some feedback from vmware....

after resuming the host, the bootcamp window sits there, pizza wheel spinning ... and if you leave it long enough the vm goes into 'powered off' state... but if you click the arrow to strat it up, you get 'Pipe: read failed'.

From this point, you have to exit fusion and when you try the bootcamp partition again .. it says it didn't shut down properly last time, so you have to go through the whole reboot/chkdisk/shutdown/delete-files-on host waste of time...

also - this doesn't seem to happen on my macbook pro..... just my mac pro .....

0 Kudos
aaron_sf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok well after much hair pulling I have come to the conclusion that this is probably a hardware problem..

In the console I noticed an lots of :

'IOATAController device blocking bus. '

when the vm was 'hung' ...

googling around I read various things about the Optiarc superdrives ... and their tendancy to cause this .... so I removed the superdrive... and the vm resumed correctly !

Hmm... so apple have given me a crappy superdrive... great.

disabling the CD on my bootcamp partition is a workaround...

apple support won't touch it of course as the superdrive only has this problem with Fusion....

0 Kudos