5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2009 2:20 PM by JFitchVMA

DRS Bug or Feature

jasonrobinson Enthusiast

Noticed this bug/feature the other day and felt I would share it with everyone to see if anyone else has ran across this same issue.

Here is the issue, if you disconnect and remove a host from a DRS enabled cluster and then add the host back to the DRS cluster all of the powered on vm's on that host now have a memory limit set under the Edit Settings>Resources tab on the vm. The limit is set to the amount of RAM allocated to the vm. Now this is usually not that big of a deal because setting the memory limit to the hard limit assigned to the vm doesnt cause any issues, however if you ever upgrade the memory in that vm and dont check to see if their is a memory limit then you can run into some issues.  I have also notices several other instances where memory limits where being set by ESX and not manually, however this was the only one that really stood out to me as being strange. Anyway, if you have seen it or know of any reason why this would be occurring feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Jason

• 1. Re: DRS Bug or Feature
          JFitchVMA Enthusiast

I'm having that same problem. In two cases when I tried to increase the memory of a vm the resource limit for memory was set to the limit of the vm and when turning on the vm it would generate constant errors about updating child resources. That was because of the limit obvioulsy. Now the real kicker in my case is that I turn the vm off and set it to unlimited but it never sets the setting. The only way I was able to get around it was removing the vm from inventory and creating a new vm with a 1mb disk, deleting that disk and adding the original disk(s) back. Set the resources where I want then and then all is well once the vm is turned on. One other gotcha is pay attention to the scsi controller on the vm. It added the wrong controller and I spent 30 minutes figuring out my sudden blue screens were because of the controller being wrong. I think that has to do with the default in 4 vs 3.5. The two vms were created on a 3.5 server then that box upgraded.

In your case was the resource bug on a newly created 4 vm or in 3.5?

• 2. Re: DRS Bug or Feature
            jasonrobinson Enthusiast

The cases that we have seen have been newly created vms on 3.5 or vm migrations from an older 2.5.x farm to 3.5 farm. Now I have not run into the same problem you have with getting the resource limit to stick. I wrote a script that changed about 500 + this weekend and everyone changed fine, that included powered on and powered off. Was your vm original vm built in 3.5 and migrated to a 4.0 farm? If so it sounds like the virtual hardware never got upgraded on the vm, but that is just a guess.

Currently we dont have VI 4.0 deployed anywhere so I have not ran into the SCSI controller issue yet, but thanks for the heads up.

Jason

• 3. Re: DRS Bug or Feature
              JFitchVMA Enthusiast

Nope, I upgraded the hardware before upping the memory. So it's even more

perplexing. I'm concerned about how many more will do it. I have 900+ VMs

to upgrade..

Original VM was 3.5 and was migrated to 4.

From:       jasonrobinson <communities-emailer@vmware.com>                                                                               

To:         Jonathon Fitch <jonathon.fitch@regions.com>                                                                               

Date:       08/05/2009 01:59 PM                                                                               

Subject:    New message: "Re: DRS Bug or Feature"                                                                                

Jonathon Fitch,

A new message was posted in the thread "DRS Bug or Feature":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1330148#1330148

Author  : jasonrobinson

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/jasonrobinson

• 4. Re: DRS Bug or Feature
                jasonrobinson Enthusiast

Well one remaining constant in both of our situations that we have seen is that the limit is set after the vm is migrated from and older version of esx code to an newer version i.e. for me it was 2.5 to 3.5 and for you 3.5 to 4.0. If we could figure out why the that limit is being hard set during the migration, that might explain the strange bug/feature I am seeing with DRS enabled clusters. But then again they could be totally not related.

Jason

• 5. Re: DRS Bug or Feature
                  JFitchVMA Enthusiast

As we upgrade the tools and hardware on the servers in the next few weeks

I'll keep an eye out for that to see if it's happening to all of them or

not.

From:       jasonrobinson <communities-emailer@vmware.com>                                                                               

To:         Jonathon Fitch <jonathon.fitch@regions.com>                                                                               

Date:       08/05/2009 02:47 PM                                                                               

Subject:    New message: "Re: DRS Bug or Feature"                                                                                

Jonathon Fitch,

A new message was posted in the thread "DRS Bug or Feature":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1330231#1330231

Author  : jasonrobinson

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/jasonrobinson