VMware Cloud Community
tharpy
Contributor
Contributor

host profiles

Can a host profile created from an ESXi reference host be applied to an ESX (full version) host?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I've not tested with ESXi and apply to vSphere hosts, but I don't think its going to work because host profiler is use for compliancy purpose and allow you to revert back to original settings if you've made changes to it or apply the same settings to the other hosts, so it must be the same hypervisor type though.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
ablej
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No this not possible you will get an error due to the version type.

David Strebel

www.holy-vm.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"

David Strebel www.david-strebel.com If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"
0 Kudos
NarayanCharan
Contributor
Contributor

No its not possible, i even tried it ended up a failure.

Please find the explanation and video about VMware Host Profiles in the below link.

VMware - Host Profiles

For more articles on VMware come to my blog http://www2.isupportyou.net

Thanks

Charan.B

VCP4, MCSE, SCSA.

Regards Charan.B VCP4, MCSE, SCSA Administrator isupportyou.net
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

You can apply an ESX host profile to an ESXi host - you'll get some errors due to Service Console etc - but most settings will still apply.

I have not tested the reverse (and doubt many will as most are migrating to ESXi) - but even if you could - you would still be short of information.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I didn't think as well that you can apply a ESXi host profile to ESX although never tried to be sure.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos