5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2009 7:24 PM by DennieTidwell

VMware ESX Server, 2.5.0, build-11548 - can licensing be centralized in vCenter 2.0.2?

DennieTidwell Hot Shot

VMware ESX Server, 2.5.0, build-11548

VC V. 2.0.2 Build 50618

My present assignment is with some legacy equipment and versions.

When I add an esx host to vCenter (see versions above) - I don't get any options to add "add-on" licensing from vCenter. The 3.0.2 host works ok with a local host license and add-ons from vCenter. The 2.5.0 host has a host license configured. I assumed I could use a host license for the server and add vMotion, HA, & DRS as add-ons from vCenter. Selecting the 2.5 host in licensing tab doesn't activate "host configuration" link nor does it list licensing config below.

Also, if I just should not use vCenter 2.0.2 for esx 2.5.x hosts ... please chime in with reasons.

• 1. Re: VMware ESX Server, 2.5.0, build-11548 - can licensing be centralized in vCenter 2.0.2?
          weinstein5 Guru

No you can not use the licensing server VC 2.0.x to license an ESX 2.5.x server - the licensing scheme changed  between ESX 2.5 and VI-3

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: VMware ESX Server, 2.5.0, build-11548 - can licensing be centralized in vCenter 2.0.2?
            DennieTidwell Hot Shot

The guide says you can mix esx host licensing and centralized server licensing.

Installation and Upgrade Guide

ESX Server 3.0 and VirtualCenter 2.0

Host-Based and License Server-Based Machines in the Same

Environment

Using host‐based licenses for ESX Server features and license server‐based licensing for

VirtualCenter features in the same environment is permitted. However, doing so

requires changes to the default VirtualCenter configuration settings. If you do not

change the VirtualCenter settings, the settings can override host‐based license files:

! When the VirtualCenter Server restarts

! When the host‐based ESX Server machines are added to inventory again

NOTE Any host‐based license file on the ESX Server machine remains unchanged but

ignored.

WARNING If you restore an ESX Server machine to host‐based licensing without changing the

VirtualCenter default configuration, you can experience unexpected behavior.

To change VirtualCenter settings to allow host-based ESX Server licensing

1 From the VI Client, choose Administration > Server Settings.

2 Click License Server in the list on the left.

Installation and Upgrade Guide

32 VMware, Inc.

3 Deselect the check box for Change host license server settings to match *

VirtualCenter.s setting when they are added to inventory.

4 Click OK to save your changes.

5 Remove and Add any affected ESX Server machine in the inventory.

Now it is safe to reconfigure host‐based licensing on any changed ESX Server machines.

See .Configuring an ESX Server Machine for Host‐Based Licensing. on page 30.

• 3. Re: VMware ESX Server, 2.5.0, build-11548 - can licensing be centralized in vCenter 2.0.2?
              weinstein5 Guru

What they are referring is that you can have host based licensing, storing the license file on each individual ESX server, and a centralized license server which is what you will have to do - have host based licensing for your ESX 2.5 hosts - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: VMware ESX Server, 2.5.0, build-11548 - can licensing be centralized in vCenter 2.0.2?
                DennieTidwell Hot Shot

Thanks for your responses, but my initial questions remain.

Can vCenter 2.0.2 licensing server handle add-on (vMotion, HA, DRS) licenses for a 2.5.x esx host with a local host (Server/SMP) license(s) OR even just centralized?. It does it for 3.0.2 with no effort.

If not, can I modify 2.5.x esx to open ports or start a service to allow centralized license mgmt?

• 5. Re: VMware ESX Server, 2.5.0, build-11548 - can licensing be centralized in vCenter 2.0.2?
                  weinstein5 Guru

Can vCenter 2.0.2 licensing server handle add-on (vMotion, HA, DRS) licenses for a 2.5.x esx host with a local host (Server/SMP) license(s) OR even just centralized?. It does it for 3.0.2 with no effort.

No - vmotion, HA and DRS is not possible with ESX 2.5 - even if it were possible to use the centralized license server with VC 2.0.x these VI-3 features can ont be used with earlier versions of ESX -

If not, can I modify 2.5.x esx to open ports or start a service to allow centralized license mgmt?

The only way to centrally manage ESX 2.5 licenses is withe VC 1,x -