VMware Cloud Community
jspilon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

storage service is not initialized [solved]

Hello,

I justed installed vCenter and joined a ESX 4 host to it and i get "stoirage service is not initialized" when opening the "Storage Views" tabs. I also see the Storage Management Service as an alert on the vCenter Service status page in th VIC.

vCenter 4.0.0 build 162856 (with Update manager and converter installed)

Any idea?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

This thread contains an answer telling there's no answer. But there's a link with some background to this experimental function:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/218842?tstart=0

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
jspilon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have viewed this thread, but i could not find resolution. There is not much information about this thing... I don't understand why it is enabled by default if it is experimental

0 Kudos
jspilon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My problem is solved.

I am using Windows login for the vCenter service and it did not have "Act as part of the operation system" rights

Adding this right to the user fixed the problem.

Message was edited by: jspilon

0 Kudos
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Even with this right on local admin, i still got the error. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
jspilon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What are your services running as?

0 Kudos
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

local system Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
chjones
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having the same issue. All of my vCenter Server services are running as Local System. Has anyone found a solution?

0 Kudos
jspilon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is your database engine? Local or remote?

0 Kudos
chjones
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am running vCenter in a Windows 2003 Std x64 VM running on one of my ESX 3.5 Clusters. The database server is running Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise 2005 SP3 running on a Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Cluster.

0 Kudos
lecorc1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Can you specify how can I achieve this :

I am using Windows login for the vCenter service and it did not have "Act as part of the operation system" rights

Is this on the VC , where ?

0 Kudos
VMScot
Contributor
Contributor

The solution for assigning the "log on as a service" can be found in this KB article. It's a function of the OS rather than VC. It fixed my problem with the Storage Management Service and Performance Overview.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739028(WS.10,printer).aspx

0 Kudos
chjones
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm sorry to sound like a n00b ....

I tried setting the VirtualCenter Services to run as a Domain Admin Account. I restarted the server, and several days later I'm still having the issue with Storage Views.

Can you please confirm which exact service(s) need to run as an admin account so I can be sure I got them all?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
VMScot
Contributor
Contributor

The two services are the VMware Virtualcenter Management Website and VMware Virtualcenter Server, but the main issue is making sure that the account that these use have "Run as a Service" rights. Domain Admins don't necessarily have this right on the local computer.

0 Kudos
krc1517
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This also fixed my problem.

Broke the Health status of services and Hardware VIews but got storage views working. Smiley Happy

That may not all be entirely true but storage views does work now.

0 Kudos
lecorc1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just try to understand. I've got the 2 services mentionned above that are running under localsystem account ..

1/ Do I have to modify these settings ?

2/ Broke the Health status of services and Hardware VIews but got storage views working .. How do you perform this ?

Regards.

0 Kudos
TonyPhillips
Contributor
Contributor

I was experiencing the same problem along with the performance overview would not

function. I was running the Vmware VirtualCenter Service and the

Vmware VirtualCenter Management Webservices under a domain

user account account. Going into the Local Security Settings of the server

(Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy) and adding the

domain user account to "Act As Part Of The Operating System", and "Log on as a service"

fixed all the above issues. Thanks to all the help in this group.

I am running vCenter 4.0.0 build 162856 (with Update manager and converter installed)

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

Nice. This fixed the problem in the environment I am working on now. Once the service account was added to the "act as part of the operating system" and the VMware services restarted the storage views started working fine accross all 3 vCenter servers.

Carl

0 Kudos
JohnEllis201110
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same exact error message.  The solution for me was to turn off the Windows Firewall for the Domain Profile.  Works perfect now.  I guess you could just open the proper ports too.

0 Kudos