I have the same problem on WXP, SP3 and last update. Server and agent are running but they don't listen on the ports 443 and 9089.
There is everything fine on WS2003 .
I found an FAQ which basically recommended re-installing if anything went wrong.
but just to be sure I created a new Admin account & password
Uninstalled Converter and re-installed it - worked like a charm.
Also managed to clone my local machine, but it insisted on cloning both physical drives (not what I wanted, since the second disk has 150GB)
still, it's a positive start.
Have got the same issue. Win7 x64 Sp1 Prof, tried to install, uninstall and reinstall again vCenter Converter 5.0.0-470252 - "Failed to impersonate blah-blah-blah" upon client start.
In case you have this error in XP OS - then you should use Administrator account!!
With this Admin account evrything works ok!
I got this error too, and reinstalling didn't matter. I traced it to my account containing non-english characters, as my server was a swedish one where the default administrator account is spelled in swedish. Creating another admin account with english-character username solved the issue.
Your answer helped me!
Just created another admin with latin characters
Thanks for sharing the info...
I ran into this as well using a domain account. While still an administrator account it was giving me the "failed to impersonate user" error. After digging around for a second i realized I had set custom DNS for testing and forgot to switch my DNS back to my DC so the application was unable to authenticate my Domain user account against the proper DC. Switched my DNS back to default and everything worked just fine.