VMware Cloud Community
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

HP specific version vSphere 4

Here is a link for the[ HP specific version of ESXi 4|http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductsList.do?category=VIRTVMW]. It includes the CIM modules for monitoring HP hardware including Disk drives.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
12 Replies
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you. I have been looking for this.

SB

0 Kudos
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does this mean that if I create a Windows 2003 Server VM that I will be able to monitor my Proliant server like I do today with the System Management Homepage installed as part of PSP?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

This version provides HP specific CIM (much like SNMP) modules for hardware monitors built in to HP motherboards. Without the HP specific modules you don't get as complete a view as with them. It can monitor ram, processors, temperatures, drives etc. This is strictly about the HP hardware and not about guest VMs. If you use HP SIM you would get the HOST and guest monitoring.

0 Kudos
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, HP System Insight Manager is a lot more involved than HP System Management Homepage so I've never used it. Can HP SIM be installed on a guest VM to monitor the ESXi server or does it have to be installed on a different computer? Or by using the ESXi version with CIM mean that I get more information within the VMware Infrastucure client?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

SIM can be installed as a VM. It can be a little big but it does work well.

The VI client will allow you to see what is going on relative to the hardware. If you want alerts then you will need either vSphere vCenter server. You could have a look at http://www.veeam.com/esxi-monitoring-free.html. It has a limited number of monitors but works well.

0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I installed this version on a DL585 G1 and I still do not see any hardware information other that CPU and Software Components in the "Health" section of the vSphere client. Is there something else I am supposed to configure to make additional options visible (like the disk health)?

Thanks

SB

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

G1 doesn't support much I'm afraid. You should be careful because the 585 isn't supported anymore. Some vital 64bit operations are missiling and you can end up crashed. OK or play or testing.

0 Kudos
Laddu
Contributor
Contributor

I dont think you need to do any other things to make the disks info visible in CIM monitoring,After installing this HP specific CIM build it self you should be able to see all the hardware info,Just give a trail by resetting the sensor info in Health status tab

0 Kudos
jiths
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The HP DL 585 G1 servers came along with other HP G4 series of servers. The vmware CIM implementation is dependent on IPMI (embedded health driver), but G4 servers and DL 585 G1 doesnot support IPMI. To make it simple in HP most of the servers which is having ILO2 is IPMI supported but the "ILO" servers are not IPMI supported.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

A different link with the spec's for the supported USB and SD drives

0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for all replies.

SB

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I was always used to downloading this from VMWare's website. Little frustrating someone has to go hunt for it - but great find, I think a lot of people have been waiting for this.

0 Kudos