VMware Horizon Community
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

View Manager Admin Session Timeout

Is there a way to change the session timeout for View Manager Administrator Console?

Thanks,

-vmsf

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Steven_Rodenbur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes. It is under "Configuration -> Global Settings".

0 Kudos
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

That setting is for the timeout for the client connection not the View Manager Admin console.

0 Kudos
Steven_Rodenbur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are we talking about the same thing? The "View Manager Admin console" is a webbrowser-only thing.

And to prevent being logged out of the web-page(s) you need to enlarge the "client connection timeout".

If this is not what you meant, then i have no idea what you are referring to.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If I am not mistaken he is referring to the screen that allows you to manage View. The setting you are referring to sets timeout values for connecting clients. he simply wants to increase the timeout value for the admin page so he doesn't have to keep logging in.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks mittim - you are absolutely right.

So - what is the solution...

0 Kudos
Steven_Rodenbur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"If I am not mistaken he is referring to the screen that allows you to manage View. The setting you are referring to sets timeout values for connecting clients. he simply wants to increase the timeout value for the admin page so he doesn't have to keep logging in."

Yes, and that is exactly what i am referring to. That setting can be modified in the place i mentioned.

I changed that value to 60000 minutes and i stay logged in for hours and hours and hours.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

What version are you running Steven? I'm using 3.01 and I only have the session timeout under Global Settings.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Steven_Rodenbur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm running 3.1 now but it's exactly the same as in 3.01. The "session timeout" setting is what you need Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I guess we are kind of on the same page but maybe a little different. I am referring to a idle timeout value for the Admin Console. The session timeout value may indeed work for the admin console as well (though I always thought it was just for your VDI session) but my Admin console page has never stayed open 15 hours straight which is what my session timeout is set to.

0 Kudos
Steven_Rodenbur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"but my Admin console page has never stayed open 15 hours straight which is what my session timeout is set to"

Well that is what that setting is for. Maybe there are other reasons why that happens. As long as i leave my browser (IE8 in compat-mode for the admin-console URL) open then i stay logged in. I can open in the morning. Leave. Come back in the evening and it's still there without having to re-authenticate.

I did a normal install on a box with SQL2005 and no IIS installed. It worked fine in 3.01 as well.

But then again, as the admin-console has no "auto-refresh" feature, what's the use of having a console open all the time. Once properly configured and with pools running fine, i hardly log in. But that's my personal opinion and how i use it.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I agree that is what the setting is for and that was my point. Mine should stay open at least 15 hours straight but it doesn't seem to work that way. It doesn't bother me because like you I don't have to use it that much anymore. I just wanted to try and help the originial poster out as much as possible. Thanks for your help and knowledge transfer.

0 Kudos
alaskanspawn
Contributor
Contributor

Session timeout—Determine how long (in minutes) users (notice it doesn't say admins) are allowed to keep sessions open after they log in to the View Connection Server (not admin console). This field must contain a value, and the default is 600.

This is not the setting that the original post was asking about. I also want to know how to change the session timeout for the admin console not the normal user interface. Anyone have any ideas yet?

0 Kudos
jatika
Contributor
Contributor

heheheh long time since anyone posted here- but just fyi--

the global sessoin timeout setting IS for the users view sessions. In the view admin console this is in fact set to minutes, 600 default as oreviously said. Change it to 1, and every minute your users will be kicked out of their view session.

BE AWARE!!! in the view4.5 integration module, there is a similar setting, also specific to User sessions and NOT the admin console session-- neat little powerCLI command:

Update-GlobalSetting -SessionTimeout 30

although it tells you this value is in minutes, and unless my version of 4.5 has a bug, this value is NOT minutes its SECONDS! So BE CAREFUL i found out pretty quickly that setting is bogus when all my users started getting kicked out every 30 seconds.

BUT-- if you do want to change the administrative console time-out:

View Configuration -> Global Settings -> Edit... -> Enable automatic status updates

Enabling this has no unintended consquences to the end-users-- it aut-refreshes the concole so there is no inactivity and hence, no admin log out.

0 Kudos
jornlux
Contributor
Contributor

Once again there has been a while since anyone posted here.

jatika: thank you for shedding a little light on a confusing topic. You're absolutely right about the admin timeout and the somewhat erronously named "Session timeout" configuration option.

Frustration be gone !

0 Kudos
Bruticusmaximus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have my session timeout set to 999,999 but, it still times out every 10 minutes or so Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
RECKMAN
Contributor
Contributor

Working with Horizon 7.3 here.  Our admin session timeout is set 999 minutes, but we see credential timeout after about 10 minutes of inactivity.

It's not exactly workflow breaking, but annoying nonetheless.

0 Kudos