Can you post the other applications so that we can be aware of them when we upgrade?
We also had problems with pcAnywhere (v10), and Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition (v10), which we believe were associated with the same issue. We haven't yet reinstalled those applications to test whether this fixed there issues or not.
We had the exactly same msvcp71.dll problem with MS-SQL 2000.
After the vmware tools update the SQL service refused to start with the error that is was missing the msvcp71.dll
I have also had this problem on host that has SAV10 installed. Did a repair on the SAV install and all OK.
But pretty annoying to do this on 40-50 VMs...
Moved to Virtual Machine and Guest OS.
Best regards, Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
Now Available on Rough-Cuts: url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/VMware_Virtual_Infrastructure_Security'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/VMWare_ESX_Server_in_the_Enterprise'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|url=http://www.astroarch.com/blogBlue Gears[/url]|url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Top_Virtualization_Security_LinksTop Virtualization Security Links[/url]|url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Virtualization_Security_Round_Table_PodcastVirtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]
I encountered multiple VM's where Symantec Endpoint stopped working after the upgrade to 4.0. Posting this due to multiple others with Symantec products experiencing issues.
The problem was fxed by going to Add/Remove Programs, and running Modify-->Repair on Symantec Endpoint.
We had the same problem with all SQL instances after upgrading: the msvcp71.dll file was completely missing. Copied from another similar machine: it works like a charm now.
Thank you for posting the solution!
Apparently when you install the upgraded VM Tools on the virtual machine, it deletes a file called msvcp71.dll from the System 32 directory.
This also impacts IBM\Tivoli (TSM) Backup software. The TSM Service requires this Dll to start. Quick fix is to copy this file from another server with the TSM software back into the system32 folder. I noticed this once the VM Tools upgrade completed logging in produced the error that service could not start due to msvxp71.dll file missing. Once the File is replaced the service starts. Also upgrading the Hardware to v7 has no impact on this dll from what I have seen only during the VM Tools upgrade.
Error on the side of Caution Take a snapshot first!!!!
We upgraded last night. The same problem. VMWare Tools installation busted our DATEV installation. You have to do the repair the "Installationspacket" in the DATEV Software.
This also affected our Laserfiche 7 servers. We couldn't get the server to start but luckily when I started the client it reported the missing file. Replacing the .dll in the system32 folder worked but is really is a pain. Anyone know why the VMware upgrade does this?
Has anyone heard anything from VMware about this issue? I experienced it as well today. SAV 10.x failed on 30+ VMs after VMware Tools was upgraded.
We have not upgraded the tools on many VM's yet. I have two experiences with this dll.
1. I imported a VCB backup of hardware 4 with old tools onto a vsphere 4 host. The VM was created with hardware 7. The tools were still old. When it came up it complained about this dll andSQL Server simply would not start. We troubleshot it for a while before noticing that the hardware had been upgraded. We restored it again to a 3.5 host and everything worked just fine.
2. Saturday, I upgraded the vmtools and hardware on our virtual vCenter and sql server. They started up just fine. Yesterday, the vcenter server started complaining about that dll at about 10:30 am. Then the vcenter service crashed. I couldnot restart it. I rebooted bothVM's and still nothing. vCenter was reporting the the login to the database failed. I tested the password we have on file and it worked. I ended up resetting the password to the database within vcenter and it started working. vCenter forgot the password. When I spoke with VMWare about this, I asked them to add this dll information to the ticket for future reference as the timing of the events was too close to be coincidence. It seems like the issue with that dll made vCenter forget the password. Not sure how that can be.
Hope this helps someone.
Charles Killmer, VCP
If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
One way I "fixed" this was after i finished the tools/updates I assigned a new package to be applied to the clients group. This ran across the guests and reinstalled the clients "fixing" the problem.
Note: 64-bit machines keep the file at C:\Windows\SysWow64
If you have good backups, or copied itt, simply restore it after the VMware Tools upgrade. There's another workaround.
If you don't backup, use the Windows Install CD. It works. Tested it already.
Our "patient zero" ended up being a production instance of SQL Server 2000 that processes utility meter reads for our company on an hourly basis. So... our downtime was significant. Given that this is only the 2nd bug I have ever experienced from VMware in over 2 years, I can overlook this error. Its not that big of a deal because there are smart people on these forums who spotted this problem straight away.
Good luck everyone.