VMware Cloud Community
bobu2
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere client connection error

I am having an issue when trying to use the Vsphere client to connect to my ESXi4 server. The error I get is: Error The request failed because of a connection failure. (Unable to connect to the remote server.) Vsphere Client could not establish a connection with server. Details: A connection failure occurred. (Unable to connect to the remote server.) This is when trying to connect from my XP Pro SP3 box. I can connect fine from my XP Pro SP3 laptop. Any ideas????? No firewall is enabled on the machine and I have tried disabling the AV with no luck.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Sure that you are VS Client?

Can you ping your ESXi4 host?

Have you tried to restart management on ESXi?

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
bobu2
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure by what you mean "sure that you are VS client?"

Yes I can ping my esxi4 host

Yes tried restarting management and restarting the host itself.

0 Kudos
abufa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, bobu2.

I guess that the password will be correct. It should be borne in mind that until you change it, there is no password.

The esxi server is a physical or virtual machine?

-

Oscar

----------------------------------------- Oscar http://www.aprendeinformaticaconmigo.com
0 Kudos
bobu2
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I am using the password I set . The server is a physical machine.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure by what you mean "sure that you are VS client?"

vShere Client (alias VIC 4).

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
bobu2
Contributor
Contributor

yes it is the Vsphere client that comes with ESXi 4

0 Kudos
nfdr1979
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem when I going to test for 1st time VMWare ESXi 4. I have a server HP DL380 5G, and I installed vSphere on a laptop with Vista SP1. I can ping the server sucessfully, donwload vSphere and so... and i can not connect.

The server is a member server joined to the domain,the DC is Windows Server 2003 SB St Ed, and I dont know what to do.

0 Kudos
bobu2
Contributor
Contributor

I finally gave up and went back to ESXi 3.5 and my XP Pro SP3 system can connect just fine to it, just not with the new vSphere client and ESXi 4. My setup was just a regular windows workgroup and there wasn't any firewall or software blocking the connection and I could not figure out why it was dropping the connection. When I made the initial connection it would give the popup about the server certificate but then drop the connection after accepting it. I also tried completely uninstalling the vSphere client and cleaning my registry of all items relating to VmWare and reinstalling but that did not solve the problem. I also tried an upgrade from the VI client to the vSphere client and got the same error.

0 Kudos
TCLauderdale
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the exact same issue, only from 1 laptop. Uninstalled, reinstalled, upgraded to new vSphere client, no luck, exact same error every time. All other users can get in to vCenter server with no issues.

0 Kudos
TCLauderdale
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing the exact same issue on 1 laptop. Uninstalled VI client, reinstalled, even upgrade to vSphere client, with the same result. All other users are fine. Has anyone found a workaround for this issue?

0 Kudos
checco
Contributor
Contributor

At first, I thought it was the older version of LIBEAY32.dll / SSLEAY32.dll installed with ViC (since I have newer libs already installed and running in memory)... but it did not make a difference.

I did find (in my case) that is was the network protocol stack that had some "extras" (outside the standard 4 "mwsock", "winrnr", "rsvpsp" and "vsocklib") which caused the connection problem -- specifically "SSH Tectia Client" which adds an "SSH Name Provider" to the network protocol chain. After uninstalling SSH, ViC connected fine... however, since I use SSH for most of my administration, this cannot be the final solution.

VMWare needs to work nice with whatever other network addons there are... I have had no other software give me connection problems, just ViC.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
dell4242
Contributor
Contributor

For me it was the symantec security imediate filter driver.

I resolved this on my PC by doing the following. I have xp.

Go to network connections.

Click on the network in question. go to properties.

Uncheck the symantec secruity imediate filter driver.

I'd also play around with unchecking these one at a time. WIth obvious exceptions like tcpip. If you don't have symantec to find the offending product.

Hope this helps someone.

it was driving me nuts.

0 Kudos
AustralB
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all

Did anyone work this out as i have the same problem. I have started over many times but always get stuck with this problem.

P.

0 Kudos
checco
Contributor
Contributor

It always has something to do with how VMWare reacts with other software on the TCP/IP stack... on one machine it was my Tectia SSH installation, on another it was Symantec, on another it was ZoneAlarm.... you can use Microsoft's "AutoRuns" or "LSPFix" programs to find out what is in the TCP/IP (LSP) chain... but do not use these programs to remove them... find out the colliding software in the LSP chain, and remove it using normal Add/Remove programs.

It bothers me that VMWare has not acknowledged nor addressed this issue. (However, the Tectia support folks knew of the issue right away and were able to give me a workaround for VMWare and their software).

0 Kudos
edumonten
Contributor
Contributor

It bothers me that VMWare has not acknowledged nor addressed this issue. (However, the Tectia support folks knew of the issue right away and were able to give me a workaround for VMWare and their software).

How did you solve this problem? I'm desperate trying to use Tectia Client and vSphere Client at the same time.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
checco
Contributor
Contributor

Direct quote from Tectia Customer Service:

+This only occurs if you install SSH Tectia ConnectSecure or select a complete nstall of SSH Tectia Client. \\ If you are not using any of the advance features of ConnectSecure or the SSH Tectia Client then you can resolve this by removing Tectia and then reinstall SSH Tectia Client with basic installation. \\ Additionally, you may try with our latest version 6.0.11 which has some fixes in regards to namespace.+ \\

0 Kudos
KevinHeld
Contributor
Contributor

I was having the same issue and it was driving me crazy. I had uninstalled and reinstalled about 10 times. I completely ripped everything out of the registry that referenced VMware and still had problems. I finally started uninstalling applications on my workstation and found that it was my Netscreen SSL VPN application that was causing the problem. Once that was removed I had no problems accessing vCenter. Good Luck.

0 Kudos
lnxnut
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same problem.

I am thinking that it is the ESXi 4.0 server (buil # 193498)

I telnet (to port 902) from the same subnet as the ESX and am able to get a tcp connection.

I telnet from any other subnet and it is a no - go.

Seems like a firewall function of the ESX.

Anyone From VMWare seen this?

Thanks,

Rick

0 Kudos
dwheaton
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to all who have provided suggestions.

In my case I fixed this by uninstalling the Venturi client that was installed along with the Verizon mobile office kit.

Works like a charm now which is great because was driving me nuts!

0 Kudos