VMware Cloud Community
Micke_O
Contributor
Contributor

Installation problem ESXi 4.0: *Failed to load lvmdriver

I'm trying to boot the installation for ESXi 4.0 just to make sure it works on this box since the plan is to use it as my lab server and buy a new workstation. I've tried using both DVD-ROMs but with the same result.

All SATA devices are running in AHCI mode if that matters.

Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi/AP

C2D E6600

4x1GB RAM

2x300GB SATA2

2x120GB SATA

1xDVD SATA

1xDVD EIDE

CD was verified by Nero after burning so I assume it's OK.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
alli69
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here Smiley Sad

AMD Phenom II X3 710

Gigabyte MA-78GM

Samsung 500GB SATA2

4x 2GB RAM

Tried SATA in AHCI and Native IDE mode.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As strange as this sounds... make sure that your NIC driver is supporte and properly loading. Lvmdriver won't load without at least one operational NIC on the system.

0 Kudos
Micke_O
Contributor
Contributor

Ah - that might be it. I suspected the onboard NICs wouldn't be supported but I didn't expect it to refuse booting Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
alli69
Contributor
Contributor

ok, I've disabled the onboard NIC and put in a PCI-NIC (CNET 1Gbit), same error. I'm going to try anoter NIC when I get home, an old 3com.

I'll keep you posted.

Alli

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think CNET or 3com are supported. You'll have to look at the HCL to find a NIC that is supported.

0 Kudos
rmrobert
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I just suggested this one to someone else. I think this will work., it

should use Intel e1000 driver. Also pretty much anything from Broadcom

would work, as we support tg3 and bnx2 drivers.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

For official VS 4 HCL:

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
TrentR
Contributor
Contributor

Same error here with "failed to load tpm" "failed to load lvmdriver"

New test hardware with onboard NIC "Realtek 8111C", Core i7, 12GB RAM.

Will try tomorrow with a spare PCIe Broadcom NIC and report back.

0 Kudos
ceemour
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yep had same problem here

put in e1000 compatible nic and problem gone

chris

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

What sort of system are you using?

0 Kudos
TrentR
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure if that is directed at me as I don't want to hijack the thread, if it helps the collective knowledge though I will list my system specs:

TigerDirect kit with:

• Asus P6T mobo

• Intel Core i7 920

• SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5TB HD (with AHCI selected)

• SATA DVD/RW

• 12 GB of Corsair 1600 MHz RAM

• PNY video card

• Realtek 8111c Gb NIC (onboard)

Will try the build tomorrow with Broadcom "BCM5705KFBG" NIC. Upon a quick effort did not see this one on the HCL list but I certainly could have fat fingered my search.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

It was meant for anyone. Just trying to build up the 4.0 whitebox list - http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/esx40_whitebox_HCL.php

0 Kudos
ceemour
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

tytan s2915-e motherboard with onboard raid lsi1068e and dual barcelona 2350 working with esxi4 (onboard nvidia nics)

asus m3n78 motherboard with hp e200 raid card and phenom 9550 working with esx4 (Intel pro/1000 PT Desktop Adapter)

Asus P5B motherboard with IBM ServRaid 8s and intel q6600 working with esxi4 (Intel pro/1000 PT Desktop Adapter)

Chris

0 Kudos
alli69
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all for your help. I've put in a Intel pro 1000GT and ESXi installed fine now.

Why vmware doesn't just say "Error : Unsupported NIC" is beyond me.

Now iv'e only have to wait for vSphere client to work in Windows 7, lol.

Best regards,

Alli

0 Kudos
TrentR
Contributor
Contributor

Dave M, I appreciate your efforts on adding to the whitelist box. Well my intentions for this install are to test Vsphere and many of its components for an upcoming enterprise rollout. I hate to change any elements of our test here (performed NIC change and went from ESXi attempted install to ESX install) but I performed the following today and got a successful install on the first try:

• Disabled my onboard Realtek NIC (which may have provoked the TPM/LVM errors)

• Installed an HP-branded Broadcom "BCM5705KFBG" NIC

• Performed the install of ESX 4.0 server GUI install (vs. the ESXi 4.0 which prompted the error yesterday). I want the additional pieces with ESX for testing.

Results: Still get a "Failed to load TPM" error line but NOT the "Failed to load LVM driver." The install proceeded successfully and did detect the HP/Broadcom card.

Thanks each of you for your input and leading me to this quick fix. I look forward to learning more and helping out the community as my installation goes forward and we move to a production environment on HP blades and EMC SAN.

Trent

0 Kudos
rabenls
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Is this error only due to a problem with the network card?

With ESX 3.5, it was ok with my network cards, but no storage detected. And now this error with ESX 4.

Config:

Mb Asus P5B-VM

4Gb Ram

Sata Controler in AHCI mode

1x60Gb Sata

1x160Gb Sata

Old Intel Network Card

Old 3Com Network Card

I use USB dvd-rom drive

I hava disable NIC, Audio, and all non-needed included periphericals.

Any idea?

Regards

0 Kudos
nortonja
Contributor
Contributor

Why is there no support for the Realtek Chipset ? As you can see the theme that almost everybody that it tried your product has had this chipset . I just cannot believe to build an image with that chipset. Your competitor has that chipset support in its host hypervisor. What is the reason it's not there? Maybe you should you ship your product with the support of nic and save us all a lot of time and money.. guess that's why I useXenServer and keep trying to Evaluate and see if your product improves and is useful. Strike Four ..

please take this back to the powers that be and have them implement it.

Dissatisfied evaluator ( again)

0 Kudos
soRWso
Contributor
Contributor

"Why is there no support for the Realtek Chipset ?!"

Wrong error message and bad hardware support..., enhance your hardware support in next release. Perhaps I'll test version 5.0 again.

0 Kudos
rmrobert
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

TrentR - the TPM message can be safely ignored. This is not an indicator of any problem, as we do not rely on TPM for anything. The LVMDriver message unfortunately means you don't have a supported NIC, and this is an oversight we made. The next update/patch should address this with a better message. We are also always evaluating which drivers to support, and posts like this inform our decision making, so the more of you that post, the more likely your drivers are to become available.

0 Kudos