VMware Cloud Community
QuattroCS
Contributor
Contributor

Converter problem - Win 2k3 fails at 95% reconfiguration failed

Conversion status says: FAILED: A general system error occurred:InternalError

Log Highlights says: Error: Reconfiguration failed.

when attempted to boot, only tries network boot.

when attempted to configure machine says: Reconfiguration is not supported for the selected source.

i believe its the last lines of the logs that refer to the problem. not sure if anything else is needed.

this is the error I see "vmodl.fault.SystemError" and i couldnt really find anything about it.

i have converted 4 other machines, 2 win 2k3, one xp pro and one w2k.

Any assistance apreciated.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
victorg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You have attached the wrong agent log. If you are doing a remote P2V, you need the agent log from the source machine. Otherwise just try to find the log that matches by time.

0 Kudos
QuattroCS
Contributor
Contributor

here is the zip

0 Kudos
QuattroCS
Contributor
Contributor

i would still like to know the cause of this error, in the case i or anyone else may come accross it.

i have however gotten a work around. i created a Acronis Image Tib file and was able to use the converter that way to create a successfull VM that is up and running.

i have been struggling with this machine for almost 2 weeks.

thanks

Pedro

0 Kudos
victorg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It looks like you are doing a remote P2V and the logs are from the machine where the Converter server is installed. If that's the case, please go to the machine you are trying to clone and collect the agent logs.

0 Kudos
lugui65977
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Has anyone figured this one out? It is happening to me too. ANy help is aprreciated

0 Kudos
hilmarusd
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. 2 servers with only one thing in common: they were in-place upgraded from windows server 2000 to windows server 2003 (both standard editions). The %windir% points to c:\winnt instead of c:\windows, if that makes any difference. I have also attached my logs in case it can help anyone out there.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

check boot.ini -does it use signatures ? - if yes - create normal boot.ini entries instead

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
hilmarusd
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, no signatures, just the standard stuff. The C: drive was software mirrored (on both servers). I removed the software mirror and tried again with no luck.

By the way, I removed the extra line in the boot.ini file that was added to support software mirroring.

0 Kudos
vernon_hanagami
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if you're still having this issue or if you resolved the issue. I had the same problem and was trying to figure it out for a couple of days. The VM guest was still created, but when powered up, it would blue screen. I changed the SCSI controller from bus to LSI and the server powered up. I'm still checking things out, but things look good so far.

0 Kudos
ArrowECSIT
Contributor
Contributor

Just thought i would share that i just had the same problem. boot.ini looked fine (identical to what all the vmware guru's say it should look like)

I used Vcenter converter 5 on a server 2k3 server.

Solution for me was to use version 3 of the converter and not 5 and i was able to re-configure my p2v that version 5 migrated across.

everything is good now Smiley Happy

0 Kudos