VMware Cloud Community
Xzentrick
Contributor
Contributor

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0 Fails to Connect to Source for V2V

Hello everyone,

I am using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0, trying to do V2V to resize the size of the hard drive, when I tried connecting to the source VM, I get a message that "A general system error occurred: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." I have tried this on about 10 of the VMs that we have, and so far only one works. There is nothing especial about this VM. I have tried VMs on the same ESX host as the VM running conversion software, some are on the same cluster and other ones are on a different cluster. Same issue.

I have tried VMs running 2000 server and 2003 server, same problem. I have disabled the AntiVirus to see if it will help, but with no luck. There is nothing on the event viewer and all the VMware services are running fine.

I have installed VMware Converter 3.0 on another system just for testing, and it works fine every single time with the VMs. Unfortunately, I had some issues with 3.0 when working on P2Vs, which I really do not want to explain on this thread.

In other words, where Converter 3.0 works, Converter 4.0 fails. And were Converter 4.0 works, Converter 3.0 fails....

Because of our compliance policy, it would be great if I can use only one of the two versions of VMware Converter. It would make it so much easier, especially when there are over 700 servers that need to be converted, which include validated/qualified systems.

Thanks in advance.

Xzentrick.....

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xzentrick
Contributor
Contributor

I have decided to use VMware Converter 3.0.3, since it allows me to add a license. VMware vCenter Converter 4.0 did not give me that option. I do not believe it is possible on the stand alone version. Anyway... One thing that I noticed is that the unlicensed version of VMware Converter 3.0.3 only shows "Other Virtual Machine" when doing the Destination Type, which gives me a lot of trouble when doing P2Vs.

After adding the license, I have another option, "VMware Infrastructure Virtual Machine", which works great every single time for the P2Vs.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
rabear
Contributor
Contributor

That was the most helpful comment I have ever had after searching for days and many sites over "General system failure"(s) with VMware Converter 4.0

I installed version 3 on a primary domain controller and was able to successfully hotclone it. Although the image is for Server ver 1, it seems ok with ver 2 only without VMware Tools

woter
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to do the exact same thing with the exact same error message as the author of this post, with the exception of using Server 2008 64-bit. I understand I have no choice but to use 4.0 (4.0.1 build 161434)because 3.0 does not support Server 2008.

Has VMWare or anyone else managed to come up with a fix or solution to this?

I have tried shutting down the Windows Firewall service, starting it back up and then running the command:

netsh firewall set opmode mode=DISABLE profile=all

So I hope this means the firewall is out of the equation, however I have tried telnet'ing from the converter server to the source and it failes for the ports I have read are used:

telnet svr-vmconvert 444
telnet svr-vmconvert 8080
telnet svr-vmconvert 9089

I can telnet to another server on a know port from the converter server. Converter and Source are on the same subnet.

I've looked at the Converter logs but there is nothing with a timestamp close.

Do I have to anything with licensing or should I get the full featureset out the box?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Tex

0 Kudos
hideyori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

I had the same problem, and solved it, by installing the standalone converter directly into the VM that i wanted to convert and resize the disk.

Regards

Hideyori

0 Kudos