VMware Horizon Community
Mankney1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Recommendations for best type of Pool to use

Hi,

I am currently using the eval of View and would like some feedback please.

Part of our current infrastructure are 40 computers in the plants. These computers run 24 hours a day and will have three shifts using them. The different users from each shift do not share a common name and have unique needs from each other.

The boss would like each user to have a persistent desktop.

What type of pool would you use? I have set it up to test using Linked Clones and I do like that because of the storage savings. But if I understand it right once a person logs in they get assigned a VM from the pool and no one else can use that VM even from another shift. Please correct me if I misunderstand but it would seem since everyone has a different VM we would need 120 copies of Vista (3 shifts * 40) instead of the 40 copies we have for the physical desktops now.

Is there anything we can do using Pools to minimize the copies of Vista's we need.

Thanks for any help..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you use a persistent pool you will need a VM for every unique user that you have. If you want to reduce the number of VM's you will create look into using a non-persistent pool. Just know that when using a non-persistent pool you need to have an infrastructure that allows for some type of roaming profile so that the user's settings can move between machines. You will also want to force them to save all their documents to a network location instead of the local PC.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you use a persistent pool you will need a VM for every unique user that you have. If you want to reduce the number of VM's you will create look into using a non-persistent pool. Just know that when using a non-persistent pool you need to have an infrastructure that allows for some type of roaming profile so that the user's settings can move between machines. You will also want to force them to save all their documents to a network location instead of the local PC.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Mankney1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks mittim12

It makes sense what you said plus I was unaware that you could have a non-persistent pool with Link Clones.

I appreciate the quick response.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here is the link to the admin guide for View. On page 93 it has a nice section on the View Composer feature which is linked clones.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/viewmanager3_admin_guide.pdf

0 Kudos