VMware Cloud Community
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

ROI / TCO Calculator

The ROI / TCO calculator by VMware assumes that we will be doing the consolidation for servers which are using traditional architecture of working & consolidation for those servers will yield so much of profits. Now since i am well versed with Vmware. I designed the datacenter from scratch and now wants to provide the ROI for the setup to the management. Do we have any tool different from that of Vmware to calculate the same.

My concern is that i am using Dell 2950 , 2 CPU, quad core, 32 GB RAM Server. My consolidation ratio is 22:1. So if i take numbers of machines to be 22, management will ask me, that when working under traditional method, i wont be requiring a such high configuration. And using above machine as 22 for ROI will be very incorrect. Also i cant keep on getting quotes for 1 CPU 1 core from the vendor to show that i bought 22 machnes of that type.....so any thoughts on this

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Any thoughts on this......

Regards

Anil

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Dont temme no one created the ROI report after the setup was done..... Smiley Wink

Regards

Anil

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

I still dont believe i am the only one who is facing this problem.... Smiley Sad

Regards

Anil

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Anil are you looking to perform and ROI/TCO anlaysis to prove what you did is saved money or as an ongoing effort? Either way you will be able to use VMware's tool and yes your should not use your current specs for your ESX server but use the type of machine you would have bought prior to virtualization - if that was a P2950 with 2 dual core cpus and 8 GB that is what you should use - for historical purposes and and ongoing - If you did buy single CPU physical machines then use that -

And do not worry about asking a vendor for a quote - you really only need to do it once - in my experience if you chooose a mid range server with a mid generation CPU the price does not fluctuate that much -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Thanks David, what i did was i first calculated the price of my datacenter which is now virtualized....i mean the total cost involved...Then i studied the VM's and figured as to what kinda physical machines i would have needed when not using virtualization. I borke them into entry level, mid range and enterprise level. I somehow managed to get quotes as well. So in such a way i got rough cost if it would have been the physical environement. Same was done with software licenses as well......i am looking for a way to calculate the other costs savings like pwer etc which is the cream in saving...as it will be ongoing and returns will be really high....

Regards

Anil

0 Kudos