VMware Cloud Community
snidely
Contributor
Contributor

Can't access ESXi VM with vmware-vmrc.exe. What's the datastore syntax?

I have looked at this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/156057

but when I try to connect to my VM running on ESXi I get:

Error opening the remote virtual machine 192.168.10.28\“[datastore1]Vista1/Vista1.vmx:

Invalid datastore format '“[datastore1]Vista1/Vista1.vmx'.

ESXi says my Virtual Machine Configuration File is at "[datastore1] Vista1/Vista1.vmx"

I'm using the command line:

vmware-vmrc.exe -h 192.168.10.28 -m "[datastore] Vista1/Vista1.vmx

Then I log in as root and see the error. My ESXi options page is attached.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
djciaro
Expert
Expert

Try the following command:

vmware-vmrc.exe -h 192.168.10.28 -m "vmfs/volumes/datastore1/Vista1/Vista1.vmx"

You need to use "path" if you have spaces also you need to provide the full path .. /vmfs/volumes/....

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

It should be " Vista1/Vista1.vmx" I guess.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
djciaro
Expert
Expert

It should be "datastore1 Vista1/Vista1.vmx". This is Not correct Vista1 is contained in the folder Datastore1 therefore you need to use to perform the command correctly

datastore1/Vista1/Vista1.vmx

0 Kudos
snidely
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what worked:

vmware-vmrc.exe -h 192.168.10.28 -m "[datastore1] Vista1/Vista1.vmx"

0 Kudos
fabbel
Contributor
Contributor

That's how it works in my case:

vmware-vmrc.exe -h Servername -m "[datastore1] vm001/vm001.vmx"

Put the "datastore1" in brackets like that and it works.

0 Kudos
Asad_Yousufi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, switch -m is unknown for Esxi 5.5 client however -d switch works for me works for me:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VMware\VMware VMRC Plug-in\Internet Explorer>vmware-vmrc -h 10.10.10.22:443 -d "[datastore1] Ubuntu 64-b

it/Ubuntu 64-bit.vmx"

Hope this helps

0 Kudos