VMware Communities
akhailtash
Contributor
Contributor

Vista wakes up soon after sleep or hibernation

I have had this problem recently. I put the notebook into sleep or hibernation, then about two minutes later it wakes up. It happend at night and I noticed the battery was depleted in the morning. I checked the Event log and I see the following:

1. (One of the following)

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

Date: 04/03/2009 10:45:41 PM

Level: Information

User: SYSTEM

Description:

The system is entering sleep.

2. (Two of this)

Source: Tcpip

Date: 04/03/2009 10:47:13 PM

User: N/A

Description:

The system detected that network adapter Local Area Connection 3 was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation.

3. (Two of this)

Source: Tcpip

Date: 04/03/2009 10:47:13 PM

User: N/A

Description:

The system detected that network adapter Local Area Connection 2 was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation.

4. (And one of this)

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter

Date: 04/03/2009 10:47:15 PM

User: LOCAL SERVICE

Description:

The system has resumed from sleep.

Sleep Time: 05/03/2009 3:45:31 AM

Wake Time: 05/03/2009 3:47:12 AM

Wake Source: RTC

I typed this command:

C:\> powercfg /lastwake

And the result is:

Wake History Count - 1

Wake History

Wake Source Count - 0

The two network adapters "Local Area Connection 2" and "Local Area Connection 3" are VMware Virtual Network adapters. It seems VMware network adapters wake up Vista!

Any solutions for this?

-- Amal

0 Kudos
4 Replies
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I was plagued by this, although there was no evidence that it was caused by VMware products, until I ran the powercfg commands given by Shivan in this thread:

It does mean that a sleeping machine won't then go into hibernation and other RTC based triggers won't wake the machine but it has put an end to very hot laptop bags and flat batteries.

---

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
stgepopp
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

did you install VMware Converter 4 Standalone?

I recognized that issue on two XP machines after that installation. My workaroun at the moment is:

- Stop VMwsre vCenter Converter Agent and set it to start manual

- Stop VMwsre vCenter Converter Server and set it to start manual

best regards

Erich

0 Kudos
akhailtash
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, actually I did install the VMware Converter Standalone. And when I think about it, it started to wake up after that! I think I did remove it from my laptop. I will check and see if those services still exist. I will disable them and will report back what happened.

Thanks for the good pointers.

-- Amal

0 Kudos
akhailtash
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, indeed it was the VMware converter agent service that was causing the laptop to wake up.

Thanks a lot,

-- Amal

0 Kudos