VMware Cloud Community
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Converter Standalone on VCenter server?

Does anyone know if installing the Standalone Converter on the Vcenter server (with or without Converter for vcenter) is a supported configuration?

Can't find it in the documentation (just browsed it, didn't really read it all completely)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Converter Standalone should be able to co-exist with Converter for vCenter.

You should be able to install Converter Standalone on vCenter Center (with or without Converter for vCenter).

When installing Converter Standalone 4.0 on vCenter Server, if you choose custom mode and enable remote access, you will be prompted to use different http and https ports if the default ports are occupied by vCenter Server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ascari
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Patrik

i don't know if is a supported configuration but 9 time on 10 when you try to enable converter as a plug-in of vCenter, vCenter gui it's stop work.

For this reason i have already installed converter stand alone and it's working fine.

Bye Alberto

ascari
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Patrick

i don't know if is a supported configuration but 9 time on 10 when you try to enable converter as a plug-in of vCenter, vCenter gui it's stop work.

For this reason i have already installed converter stand alone and it's working fine.

Bye Alberto

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Converter Standalone should be able to co-exist with Converter for vCenter.

You should be able to install Converter Standalone on vCenter Center (with or without Converter for vCenter).

When installing Converter Standalone 4.0 on vCenter Server, if you choose custom mode and enable remote access, you will be prompted to use different http and https ports if the default ports are occupied by vCenter Server.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Alberto,

I am curious to see what error you got when enabling Converter for vCenter plugin on Virtual Infrastructure Client.

0 Kudos
ascari
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i have no error. Simply VIC gui close itself. At this point you need to reopen your VIC (always connected at you VCS) and try again ... with no error.

Also the second time that open plug-in screen you can see that converter is installed but not enabled.

I have this issue in more than case (esx 3.5u1, vcs 2.5 u1 and relative vic)

Bye Alberto

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK

I'll give it a try on my test lab tomorrow, just saw i've got some spare time.

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Having to restart the VIC and then enable the installed plugin is normal behaviour i think, that's how it always worked for me anyway.

I've never known it to close by itself, however.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you encounter this failure, what are your VI client, vCenter server, Converter plugin and Converter server versions? It's likely you have an older Converter plugin installed. If so , you can remove the old Converter plugin, download the new one from vCenter Server and enable it.

0 Kudos
ascari
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

my system was al old vcs 3.0.1 with a previus 3.0.3 standalone converter. I completly remove all vmware* (vcs, vic and converter) before to install the new version and also remove the directory.

In this moment my version is:

VCS: 2.5.0 U1 build 84767 - VIC 2.5.0 U1 build 84567 - VUM 1.0.0.63965 - Converter 4.0.0.62387.

When i try to check cnverter flag to enable it, sometimes my vic it's close itself.

It' strange because i thought that i need to check only one time to enable converter, instead i do this every time that i restart my VIC and sometines i receive this error:

Some of the plugins failed to load. Please contact etc etc

Thank's for you lab test

Alberto

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just tried it, works perfectly.

Even did conversions simultaneously with Converter for VC and standalone, and both kept working.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is due to an openssl DLL conflict if you have a different version of openssl DLLs in your system path than the version shipped with VI client.

This is fixed in VI client 2.5 U2.

Thank you for the detailed information.

0 Kudos
ascari
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank's to you for this important information.

Bye Alberto

0 Kudos