VMware Cloud Community
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

RDM option grayed out on iSCSi storage...

Hi All,

I was trying to setup MS Clustering across two boxes and i found that it is not supported on iSCSI storage. Is it because of that RDM option is grayed out when i tried to create one. Is there a work arond for the same.

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

With the current release of ESX 3.5 MS Clustering on iSCSI is supported. Do you have any Raw LUNs available that you can point the RDM to?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

No, i dont have unassigned LUN as of now, but i just got the LUN free. Is it that the requirement for the RDM.

As per http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_mscs.pdf Pg 16, Only SAN is supported option

Regards

Anil

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I did not find the reference but I know support for iSCSI has been added - maybe someone elese will chime in -

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Thanks Weinstein...any more thoughts on this...

Regards

Anil

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Far as I gather the Vmware "restriction", for purposes of supportability, on MSCS clusters is the two node limit. Assuming a 2003 srv MSCS cluster ISCSI should be supported. You may have to rescan you adapters a couple of times after presenting the ISCSI LUN to the hosts.

Also the RDM needs to be in Physical compatibility mode.

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert

Clustering depends heavilly on the speed of the disks, so I could imagine iSCSI is not supported. However, not supported does not mean not working. The question of course is, do you want to run an unsupported config?? You can probably not add an RDM because you have no free LUNs. So you'll have to remove the (now) free LUN from the storage view (remove button). Then the VMFS is removed from the LUN, and it will become available for RDM.

Beware though, there are many limitations when using MSCS. VMs on local storage and stuff like that. There is only one way to get a supported config.... And that is by following the VMware setup guide. IF that states iSCSI is not supported, you might have a problem...

Visit my blog at http://erikzandboer.wordpress.com

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos