VMware Horizon Community
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

User profile on data disk not working

Hi,

I hope that someone can help.

I installed VMware View, and I am having truble getting the data disk working.

I am using Automated Pool with Linked clones, and it seams to work ok. The Customization part is taking a little long, but I can understand that it is normal.

If I connect to a VM, and change ex: the wallpaper and create a outlook profile, and add some icons to my desktop it is keept if I log out and back in.

But everything is destroyed if I change the OS image, or do a Image refresh. I cannot figure out why .. Please help. I am still running on trial licenses as this is a proof of concept installation.

Another thing I noticed is that my documents folder is not redirected to the data disk.. I am not sur, but as I understand it should be, so maybe nothing is redirected to the data disk, and that is why it is not working.... but why?

/Mnemonic

0 Kudos
10 Replies
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

During the pool creation are you putting the user data on a separate disk.

It is not supposed to be on the OS disk.

Thx,

-vmsf

0 Kudos
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes I have created a 5 gb disk.

/Brian

--- Oprindelig besked ---

Fra: "vmsf" <communities-emailer@vmware.com>

Emne: New message: "User profile on data disk not working"[UCF5W-b1a-4X4y]

Dato: 24. februar 2009

Klokkeslæt: 16:1710

A new message was posted in the thread "User profile on data disk not working":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1180390#1180390

Author : vmsf

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/vmsf

0 Kudos
KFM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How did you "notice" that the My Documents folder is not redirected to the data disk? Just by comparing the contents of the folders in Windows Explorer? Or did you check the properties of the My Documents and note that the Target Folder Location does not point to the user data disk?

You're not using roaming profiles are you? From my testing, it appears that you can't use roaming profiles in conjunction with a user data disk (not sure why you would either - see my post http://communities.vmware.com//message/1180001#1180001). The roaming profile that redirects the My Documents folder to a UNC path overwrites the absolute path to the locally attached user data disk.

0 Kudos
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I go to Documents and the My Music, the path is on the C-Drive.

0 Kudos
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I figured it out..

The problem was that the test user already had a profile on the View-Agent machine, it works with all other users, and it also started working when I deleted the profile on the VM before provisioning.

0 Kudos
KFM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nice work.

So it looks like that to use the user data disk, you need to have:

• No roaming profiles configured (since roaming profiles overwrites the user data disk redirection)

• No local user profile for that particular user on the machine (so best to start with a clean slate desktop OS VM)

More tips and tricks remember Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That right

0 Kudos
kegwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have ran into the exact same problem as the original post suggested. Are there any other suggestions? Should My Documents show it mapped to the data disk instead of c: or will it still show c:?

0 Kudos
KFM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't have access to my lab right now so I can't tell you definitively, but I think that if you view the properties of My Documents and you're using a User Data Disk you will note that the path will point to the User Data Disk.

0 Kudos
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is right. It should be on D-Drive.

0 Kudos