VMware Cloud Community
kodaks
Contributor
Contributor

How to estimate the man-days needed for VI3 deployment?

I would like to know are there any supporting documents to help me to estimate the scale and man-days needed for a VI3 deployment project?

I have a search on the VMware partners but failed to find the things I needed.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rodos
Expert
Expert

You know the answer depends. What is the scope. How many hosts, VMs, what SAN, Networking, Migration, Training works are need in conjunction? What type of SAN? Multiple or single site?

Rodos

Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

I would like to know are there any supporting documents to help me to estimate the scale and man-days needed for a VI3 deployment project?

This is truly one of those "it depends" questions. It depends on the size of the deployment, the complexity of the environment, the regulations you have to comply with, the level of change control you have to conform to, the amount of documentation you have to produce, etc., etc., etc.

A good place to start looking to help you size out a project is the VI:OPS site. Things are still a little thin over there, but new content is being added all the time. Steve is working hard to help people answer questions like yours.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

TVAR Solutions, A Wells Landers Group Company

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

That's depend on your systems state, if you have all networking and storage configurations in place and just need to standup 10+ ESX hosts, than that won't be long. You can average installation of ESX 3.5 between 10-15 minutes and then general configurations with networking and storage would be another 20 minutes that's depends how your engineers knowledge with VMware/configurations themselves. I would spend 30 minutes per eSX hosts but if this is for consulting, than you would have to spend time on this types:

1. Meetings with the client and understand their needs.

2. Analyze their physical networks and systems

3. Write a Scope of Work (in details what will be done (architecture layout, project management & implementation phases)

4. Collaboration with other team (networking, storage, security, systems and application owners) takes time to do change management and actually deploy it.

5. P2V if anything requires for this purpose that takes time and planning.

6. Deploy ESX infrastructure (VC server, ESX hosts, networking and storage configruations and provision VMs and templates)

All of these steps takes time and requires good planning to have a smooth and secure environments, but generally if you just deploy ESX hosts takes about 30 minutes for all configurations. I wouldn't quote 30 minutes per hosts for consulting job Smiley Happy since you charge by hour so spec it wisely.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion

30, definately 30 Smiley Happy

Don Pomeroy

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos