2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2012 7:42 PM by adrianych

Allow CD ISO images to be writable

andifor Novice

I'd like to have my CD ISO images be writable from my VMware Workstation guest.

This feature would provide me a transparent way to write CD images from software installed on any guest OS (one had to set the ISO type and the maximum size of the ISO image in VMwares hardware settings dialog).

Would this be possible?

• 1. Re: Allow CD ISO images to be writable
          jhardegree Lurker

I had just assumed that it already worked this way but apparently not :-(  Did you (or anyone else) ever figure out a way to write to .iso file based CD/DVD drives from the guest O/S?

This feature would provide me a transparent way to write CD images from software installed on any guest OS (one had to set the ISO type and the maximum size of the ISO image in VMwares hardware settings dialog).

I didn't follow what you meant by your parenthetical comment in your original post.  Can you clarify for me?

Thanks.

• 2. Re: Allow CD ISO images to be writable
            adrianych Enthusiast

I think what he wanted was a VMware "DVD burner" tool which allows him to create "Virtual CDs" instead of a Physical plactic CD.

I think this can be easily solved by installing a CD or DVD writer software. However, if you want to change the "CD or DVD" type to something more specific, you might need to purchase a "professional or paid" version.

For CD sizes, they usually take to the size of the files you "burn".