VMware Communities
davidliu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workaround for Printers Sharing not working after Mac OS X Security Update 2009-001

This post is a heads up for those of you using VMware Fusion's Printers Sharing feature (technically ThinPrint. Turned on by VM Settings -> Printers) on a Mac OS X 10.5.x host. This feature will not work if you install the recent Mac OS X Security Update 2009-001. After installing the security update and rebooting your Mac, the shared printers will no longer show up in the Windows virtual machines. We are investigating the issue and I wanted to provide a workaround for now:

1) If your printer is set up as a network printer, switch to Bridged networking (http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-2527), disable Printers Sharing in VM Settings, and configure the network printer directly in the Windows virtual machine.

2) If your printer is connected to the Mac as a local printer on USB port, you can either:

2.1) switch to Bridged networking, grab the USB printer in the virtual machine directly and set it up as if it is physically connected to the VM, or

2.2) share the printer on Bonjour network, install Bonjour for Windows in your virtual machine, and configure it as a network printer in the VM

3) If you absolutely have to use Fusion's shared printer feature (ThinPrint), reinstall Mac OS X 10.5.6 (and not Security Update 2009-001) to get ThinPrint printer to show up. As some pointed out, this is far from an ideal workaround because you will be running your Mac without the latest security update, but I wanted to list it as an option.

Here is a video tutorial from VMware Fusion 1 that walk you through options 1), 2.1), and 2.2):

Edit Feb-18: reorg the workaround and added link to the Fusion 1 printing video tutorial.

David Liu

Product Manager

VMware

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
89 Replies
tk1234
Contributor
Contributor

David,

Thanks for getting on this significant issue. It's too bad that VMWare and Apple can't be in better sync on these things - this is kind of a major bug to miss when debugging the software, especially when "driverless printing" is pushed as a major feature of the Fusion software.

I have a few points to make that I hope VMWare takes constructively:

1. How does such a major bug NOT get weeded out during beta testing of the upgrade? Driverless printing is a major feature of the software that is occuring with the only OS on which Fusion is supposed to be able to run.

2. I personally don't think "reinstalling OS X 10.5.6" is a good workaround. Many of your customers are folks who go to the mall and buy their iMac or Macbook from the Apple Store, and then install your software to be able to keep using some Windows apps. They don't know from reinstalling OS's or kernel dumps, etc. - they just want their computer to work. Apple is no help either - I've asked the "genius's" and they're not interested in third party software.

3. Several here have complained about VMWare's practice of free support ONLY for 30 days after the original purchase. As is clear here, if the software breaks after that time, VMWare wants money for support. I propose that, going forward, if bugs like this can't be caught during beta testing, that VMWare consider offering free support for paying customers when major bugs like this emerge after a factory update is issued. Alternately, we need a clear path to make these issues known and get action quickly.

Here's hoping the real fix comes soon.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

1. How does such a major bug NOT get weeded out during beta testing of the upgrade? Driverless printing is a major feature of the software that is occuring with the only OS on which Fusion is supposed to be able to run.

2.0.2 came out February 11. I'm not sure when the security update came out, but Apple's download page says February 12. We don't get early access to updates; even if we did, it would be a question of how early we got it (my guess would be "not very") and how long it takes to test and finalize a Fusion update (which is a nonzero amount of time). I'm not sure how you expect us to have been able to test this.

2. I personally don't think "reinstalling OS X 10.5.6" is a good workaround.

Apple doesn't provide a way to uninstall updates, so short of digging around system folders (which is even less of a good workaround) or using Time Machine (which not everyone has set up), there's no way to revert to a point before the security update. We don't think it's a good workaround either, but it's mentioned as a possibility until we better understand the problem.

0 Kudos
tk1234
Contributor
Contributor

etung

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure you'll understand a fair amount of frustration is built into the comments here. However, as end users of software, we are constantly shuttled between software vendors when problems happen like this. The OS guys blames it on the apps guy, and vice versa. In the meantime, we are left with broken software we can't use properly, and only forums like this in which we can seek solutions.

If you find a solution quickly to fix this and issue another update, that would be great. In the meantime, understand that all we end users want from software we buy is that at least most of the major features work as advertised.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In the meantime, understand that all we end users want from software we buy is that at least most of the major features work as advertised.

I want all features to work as advertised and while I could reiterate some of my own gripe here I'm not going to waste my time because it will be for nothing however I will say this...

As far as the tests that I've done if reference to this printing issue it is not VMware's fault that Apple's Security Update broke a feature of a 3rd party application and if one hasn't applied this update then there is no issue. Now ultimately who's responsible for fixing it may be another story however VMware is going to have to take the lead and if necessary work in concert with Apple to resolve what in Apples Update causes this feature to break.

That said I see no reason why printers cannot be setup the way they have always been before this feature was introduced unless this update breaks that as well and if it does then there is absolutely no culpability on VMware for this issue.

0 Kudos
tk1234
Contributor
Contributor

I see that you all feel as strongly as I do on this issue. Given that you point out the security update came out after 2.02 Fusion did, I understand your frustration with the issue.

My frustration is as an end user that this has to happen. I wish to fix the problem, not the blame. I too wish Apple would test their updates using all available popular apps software before their release, especially since they sell Fusion on their website, just as much as I wish that apps software could be bullet proof to any OS changes. Believe me.....I've gone through enough with a popular antivirus/security software package on Windows to fill several forums.

I hope you can fix the printer issue soon.

0 Kudos
stevesp64
Contributor
Contributor

So, what is the workaround if you need to print to a network printer, but your network will not work in bridged mode? My company has a 1 ip address per port configuration, this is a security feature, so my mac gets the IP address and windows gets nothing, therefore the VM can't talk to the network, hence the network printers are unavailable.

Please let me know asap, my manager doesn't like the "Fusion is broken because VMWare and Apple can't play nice" excuse for why I am not getting my work done.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

So, what is the workaround if you need to print to a network printer, but your network will not work in bridged mode? My company has a 1 ip address per port configuration, this is a security feature, so my mac gets the IP address and windows gets nothing, therefore the VM can't talk to the network, hence the network printers are unavailable.

Please let me know asap, my manager doesn't like the "Fusion is broken because VMWare and Apple can't play nice" excuse for why I am not getting my work done.

1. Set the target Virtual Machine's Network to NAT and if running when you change it then release/renew its IP Address and if you don't know how then reboot the Virtual Machine or make the change when it's off to begin with.

2. Uncheck the Enabled check box under Printers in the target Virtual Machine's Settings.

2. Turn on Printer Sharing in OS X and enable the target Printer to be shared.

3. In Windows add a new Printer and add it as a Network Printer using the following URL Convention.

Or

Examples:

On my MacBook Pro the Network Attached Shared Printer is an HP LaserJet 4050N and the following information is relevant to this.

Computer_Name = MacBookPro

Host_vmnet8_IP_Address = 192.168.51.1

Queue_Name_of_target_Printer = HP_LaserJet_4050

So either of the following examples works in my Windows XP Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
davidliu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Woody for the detailed instructions. The same is also documented in the video link in my original post (with my latest edits). Edit: here is the link again: http://tr.im/gwi2

Steve, the reason we say use Bridged network is because so that auto discovery works and you do not have to go through these manual process. In your case, follow Woody's steps and you should get it to work in NAT mode.

-David

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks Woody for the detailed instructions. The same is also documented in the video link in my original post (with my latest edits). Edit: here is the link again: http://tr.im/gwi2

No problem. Smiley Happy I always forget about the videos (probably because I don't need them) but I also have foun from the past when I used to point usare to the printer video many of then still need written directions. Smiley Happy

Steve, the reason we say use Bridged network is because so that auto discovery works and you do not have to go through these manual process. In your case, follow Woody's steps and you should get it to work in NAT mode.

Steve, I will add that when you go to add the printer in this manner that if the manufacture doesn't have a PostScript Printer Driver for your Model then you can use an Apple LaserWriter PS drive in its place. (That may be in the video although I haven't watched it in over a year and haven't watched the Fusion 2 version.

0 Kudos
scampa1234
Contributor
Contributor

This is truly dissappointing to me since this VMWare feature made it possible for me to print to my local-netowrk printers while my VMware guest was VPN'd into my corporate network. This was something I could neve do before and now I cannot do it again....I assumed this was due to VMWare handing off the guest print notification to the underlying host print system via API call vs network....I'm not sure why a security fix would break something at that level....

Does VMWare plan to "fix" this or does this mean we will never have this feature back the way it was?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
davidliu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, we are working to get this issue fixed for our customers, even when the underlying components are from different companies (ThinPrint and Apple).

David Liu

Product Manager

VMware

0 Kudos
scampa1234
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks David, I was hoping that would be your response!

0 Kudos
anchor3n1
Contributor
Contributor

I have been experiencing the same printer (thinprint) issue. I have tried the various work arounds including OSX archive and install to 10.5.4 (which removed the latest security update. None worked . I then decided to uninstall fusion 2.02 and reintal 2.01. Print through works like a charm.

Conclusion? 2.02 apparently has a problem with print through OSX and the security update isn't the issue.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Conclusion? 2.02 apparently has a problem with print through OSX and the security update isn't the issue.

I have no problem with using ThinPrint in 2.0.2 without the Mac OS X Security Update 2009-001 nor do all the users I've talked to since the update so there certainly isn't enough evidence to support your conclusion.

0 Kudos
jviss
Contributor
Contributor

This is just great! The only reason I bought this product was for Outlook, Word, and Powerpoint, and now one of the most fundamental fearures is broken. I can't get bridged connections to work, plus, besides the fatc that I don't like the security aspect of bridged. Yet another failed experient, $80 for VM Ware Fusion and more for the XP license down the drain. What a waste of time, waste of money, and a pain in the ass.

I'm sure you'll say it's Apple's fault, and they probably don't care anyway.

Now what???

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

This is just great! The only reason I bought this product was for Outlook, Word, and Powerpoint, and now one of the most fundamental fearures is broken. I can't get bridged connections to work, plus, besides the fatc that I don't like the security aspect of bridged. Yet another failed experient, $80 for VM Ware Fusion and more for the XP license down the drain. What a waste of time, waste of money, and a pain in the ass.

I'm sure you'll say it's Apple's fault, and they probably don't care anyway.

Now what???

It was Apples Security Update 2009-001 that caused this issue however not trying to blame them and it's just a fact!

You do not necessarily need to use Bridged if you want to print to a Printer if it's Shared on the Mac so have a look at my reply as a work-a-round until VMware has a fix. Otherwise start your own discussion thread to resolve your issue of why Bridged is not working on your system.

0 Kudos
jviss
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I'm packing for a trip, and wanted to print my itinerary and directions - hardly ever print anything, but when I need it - well, I need it to work! Understand it was Apple's update that killed it, not sure who's problem - that is, design flaw - it may be. Doesn't matter, I still like the technology, it's just not ready for prime time for me, if so basic a feature can be knocked out by so apparentrly innocuous and necessary OS update.

Bridged works now, but only after I restarted the XP VM. "Repairing" the network didn't work after switching from NAT to bridged.

0 Kudos
Piggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for posting this information so quickly. You guys really jumped on this. If I can make one suggestion though - it would be to notify customers by email, too.

This is Apple's fault. Unfortunately VMware gets blamed and has to solve the problem. It would be great if Apple gave 3rd party developers time to test updates before publicly releasing them, on the other hand this is a security update and maybe they felt it too important to wait.

The best solution is for Apple to provide a way to uninstall updates. I'm a road warrior so I'll have to figure out if it's possible (and practical) to use Time Machine with a portable hard or USB drive in the future.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
heronaddict
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the plain english explanation. To make it plainer for the completely non IT person like me:

1 what do you do if your printer is attached to the time capsule, and

2 can I just uninstall the updates without completely goosing my virtual windows pc on my Mac as it worked perfectly fine before. As a tax consultant who's primary software only runs on Windows, being unable to print accounts, tax returns etc rather stems my ability to invoice.

3 or can I just reinstal the disc that I originally purchased box and go back to the happy state where i was before?

Cheers

0 Kudos