VMware Cloud Community
TahoeTech
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi , iSCSI , and JUMBO FRAMES? Jumbo Frames enabled switch and SAN - where to enable for ESXi host?

I have an ESXi test environment with 3 hosts. I have enabled jumbo frames on my SAN, and I have it enabled on my SWITCH, but where do I enable it on the ESXi Host???

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
TahoeTech
Contributor
Contributor

"Although Jumbo Frames are available on VMkernel networking interfaces

in ESX Server 3, they are not available on VMkernel Networking

interfaces in ESX Server 3i because the ESX Server 3i remote

command-line interface does not support MTU configuration for VMkernel

networking interfaces. Jumbo Frames are still available on vSwitches in

ESX Server 3i."

Okay so I am a bit confused... I plan to do the following:

6 servers w/ hardrives. ESXi 3.5 will be installed on each physical machine (locally) NO NETWORK BOOTING.

1 iSCSI SAN for datastore. = Virtual machines and storage volumes will live here.

It says jumbo frames are NOT available on "VMKernel networking interfaces" in ESX Server 3i -

BUT that Jumbo Frames are supported on vSwitches in ESXi 3.5.

SO with that said --- that just means I can not boot my physical ESXi 3.5 hosts using iSCSI --- BUT that all of my virtual machines that will boot/run off the iSCSI SAN will be able to benefit from Jumbo Frames correct?

If I am wrong please let me know!!! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Essentially you won't be able to use jumbo frames with a datastore over iSCSI. You could however create a VM which then run an iSCSI initiator and that would be able to use jumbo frames.

0 Kudos
TahoeTech
Contributor
Contributor

So for performance benefits, should I then look at ESX server instead of ESXi as it appears that ESX allows VIRTUAL machines (not the physical hosts) to BOOT from the iSCSI SAN using Jumbo Frames???

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you want your datastore to utilizie jumbo frames then you'll need to stick with ESX for now. If you went with ESXi then you would need to do something like the following

1) Create a datastore to hold the boot partitions for your VMs

2) Configure your VMs with an iSCSI initiator to acces data volumes (this traffic could use jumbo frames).

0 Kudos
TahoeTech
Contributor
Contributor

Dave,

I really appreciate your help with all my questions today!

Basically what I am trying to accomplish is an ESX / ESXi environment where EVERYTHING is stored on a central iSCSI SAN; so I can take advantage of the HA and Load Balancing features...

Since I am using iSCSI I would prefer to have JUMBO FRAME support as it seems that would increase performance.

Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

0 Kudos