VMware Cloud Community
troeh
Contributor
Contributor

Page Fault in Non-Paged Area WIN32k.sys

I am trying to convert a Windows 2000 SP4 (SCSI attached 12GB c:\ drive, 1024MB memory) running on Microsoft Virtual Server over to VMware(Version 3.5.0 Build 123630) using VMware converter 3.0.3-89816. The conversion process completes successfully, but when I try to start the server in VMware I receive a page fault in non paged area win32k.sys BSOD. Any ideas? Thanks.

9 Replies
troeh
Contributor
Contributor

This was resolved by booting into safe mode and uninstalling two device drivers that were showing up as unknown.

0 Kudos
JimmyWillis
Contributor
Contributor

I came across your post while researching a similar issue and it got me pointed in the right direction.  Thanks!

I haven't seen my exact symptoms described elsewhere, so I thought I'd tack on here.

After moving a Server 2003 SP2 guest from ESX 3.5 to vSphere 5 and updating the VMware Tools, I started getting a BSoD error from win32k.sys during reboot.  My BSoD showed STOP: 0x000000D3

I booted the guest to Safe Mode (F8) and had to rollback the VMware SVGA II driver from version 11.7.10.0 (7/28/2011) to version 11.4.3.3 (7/9/2009).

I used the Roll Back Driver button on the Driver tab of the video adapter's Properties dialog.

After that, the guest booted flawlessly.

Scaffidi
Contributor
Contributor

Similar issue of JimmyWillis.

After moving a Server 2003 SP2 guest from ESX 4.1 to vSphere 5.0 Update 1 and updating the VMware Tools, I started getting a BSoD error from win32k.sys during reboot. My BSoD showed STOP: 0x000000D3

I booted the guest to Safe Mode (F8) and had to rollback the VMware SVGA II driver from version 11.7.10.0 (28/07/2011) to version 11.6.0.38 (02/07/2011)

I used the Roll Back Driver button on the Driver tab of the video adapter's Properties dialog.

Thank's

P.S. From Control Panel, repaired VMwareTools installation and now virtual machine works with latest VMware SVGA II driver version 11.7.10.0 (28/07/2011)

0 Kudos
S320
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm I experienced the same issue as the above 2 posts; BSOD since ESXi update. Followed instructions above and all working again. Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
latitudes
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you sooooooo much.  Rolling back the VMware SVGA II driver totally worked for me.  I didn't have the same versions as you, but it still worked.

0 Kudos
guyrobertson75
Contributor
Contributor

Love your work ... still an issue on 5.51 latest release ( as of last week fully patched VM installation ) .. Nice simple solution, rolling back VMware II vga driver

0 Kudos
jmahes
Contributor
Contributor

BRILLIANT!!! This worked for me!

0 Kudos
boyetm98
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for this info and you saved me a 10 hour restore job which could not have fixed the issue in the first place.

0 Kudos
Asagin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, how did you find unknown named drivers?

0 Kudos