VMware Cloud Community
VCPGuru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter syslog

Hi

I am collecting all the logs of my ESX server in my syslog server, how could I log all the vCenter events in this syslog database too?

Thank you in advance!

Any help would be appreciated!

Best Regards Simon Ciglia
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It's an interesting thought, however it would not be real time and I'm unsure about get-event pulling logs from VC. If it can, Snare has a text log watcher product that could output those PowerShell get-event logs to a syslog server.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
wazoo9000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There is a product called snare that can translate windows event logs to syslog and forward them to a remote syslog server.

Link:[Snare|http://www.intersectalliance.com/projects/BackLogNT/index.html]

-------- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks.
VCPGuru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you! are you having some how-tos?

greetings

0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Snare will only get the Windows event logs. I've been monitoring this thread to see if others have found a way to real-time monitor the vCenter events being written to the db. I don't want to perform the events export but would prefer that the vCenter events that eventually roll up into syslog. Has anyone written a stored procedure or alt. that does this?

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
VCPGuru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

whats about getting the vCenter Events with Powershell "Get-Event" and then store the entries into the syslog server?

0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It's an interesting thought, however it would not be real time and I'm unsure about get-event pulling logs from VC. If it can, Snare has a text log watcher product that could output those PowerShell get-event logs to a syslog server.

0 Kudos
Sanktuary
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Up Again.

Any news on this Question?

Is ther with the Vers 4.01 a possiblility to get the alarms on Syslog to a Syslog Server?

Kinde Regards

Florian

0 Kudos
robertwbrandt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know this is an old discussion, but can anyone tell me where the vCenter Events log to? I can see nothing in the Windows Event Logs nor can I find a txt file. Do they log to the SQL server?

0 Kudos
David_R
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you're using vCenter 4.1 on Server 2008 64bit or R2, you'll find the logs in:

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs

0 Kudos
gopinathan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looks like Snare has this functionality. Testing tomorrow and will post the results.

0 Kudos
Myretyr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any news on this? I am looking for a way to get vCenter to send its logfiles to a syslog server (Splunk).

--==[ VCP 5 ]==-- --==[ VCP 4 ]==--
0 Kudos
gopinathan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, In class all this week. I should have some results by next week. Stay tuned.

0 Kudos
gopinathan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snare Epilog for Windows worked forme to send the vcenter log files to syslog server.

0 Kudos