VMware Cloud Community
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Steps to install sysprep

Ahh i dont know where i am doing mistake for setting up sysprep...anyone has any doc to setup sysprep on windows xp sp3 on which VC is installed. Also how i can use sysprep for windows server 2003 64 bit.

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Download the Sys prep package from the Microsoft Web site.

The official location is on the Windows Server 2003 CD, it's best to use the latest version, because depending on Windows version sysprep from Windows 2000 will not work on Windows 2003 R2.

It's located in the deploy.cab in i386\support on the CD.

Also sysprep is version agnostic, it doesn't care if it's 32 or 64 bit, they work the same. There are no 64-bit Sysprep files. It's the same sysprep deploy.cab for both.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kooltechies
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Anil,

Please try the steps below.

In order to be able to customize a Windows guest during

cloning you need the Sysprep files from Microsoft. To install the

Microsoft Sys prep tools:

www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/tools/sys prep/default.asp

Note: Though the Sys prep version indicates Windows 2000, it works with both Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003.

1. Run the Microsoft installer (Q257813_w2k_spl_x86_en.exe) on the host running Virtualcenter.

2. Locate the directory to place the expanded files.

3. From the dialog box Browse to the default installation location:

4. C:[VirtualCenter_installation_directory]\resourceswindows\sys prep\1.1

5. Click OK.

The expanded directory structure resembles the following:

...\resources\windows\sys prep\1.1...\resources\windows\sys prep\1.1\contents.txt

...\resources\windows\sys prep\1.1\docs\...

...\resources\windows\sys prep\1.1\tools\...

...\resources\windows\sys prep\1.1\samples\...

Once you have these files in the correct locations you should be

able to customize your guest when you run the Clone Wizard. No agent or

service restarts are required.

Sysprep files for 32 bit and 64 bit are different for 64 bit OS customization you will need to download the win2k3 64 bit sysprep files from Microsoft.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that this answer is helpful please consider awarding points

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
anujmodi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Make sure the location of the sysprep files should be under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep and each folder have the naming conventions for creating the sysprep for any particular windows os.

If there is any failure while customizing the Virtual Machine from a template, take care of which version of sysprep and guestcustutil.zip is used in the process. Follow these two KB articles to verify the things :

1. Determining the correct version of sysprep to use: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1005593

2. Guest customization fails after installing or upgrading to VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 2: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006848

Regards,

Anuj Modi

Anuj Modi, If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct. The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization: anujmodi.wordpress.com
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The official location is on the Windows Server 2003 CD, it's best to use the latest version, because depending on Windows version sysprep from Windows 2000 will not work on Windows 2003 R2.

It's located in the deploy.cab in i386\support on the CD.

Also sysprep is version agnostic, it doesn't care if it's 32 or 64 bit, they work the same. There are no 64-bit Sysprep files. It's the same sysprep deploy.cab for both.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Thank you guys...will try the same and update

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos