VMware Cloud Community
Stridar
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to get fileextents for \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\\pagefile.sys. Error: 2

Trying to P2V w2003 SP1 mahcine using enterprise converter. Dies at 2% every time with the "Unable to get fileextents for
?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1
pagefile.sys. Error: 2
". followed by same error for "hibernat.sys. Error: 2" and "hiberfil.sys. Error: 2" and then "Unable to get bad blocks extents for
?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\. Error: 5".

There are 2 drives, C (8gig) and D (60gig). I've tried just converting with the C drive, doing both drives, ignoring pagefile and hibernate, not ignoring them, running chkdsk, power and hibernate are coorect, using a local admin account and boot ini is fine. THe swap file is on the D drive, for grins I put a small one on C to no avail, removed it and tried with no success. I've stopped as many services as possible and that it didn't help.

The conversion task sits at 2% (after creatign the new machine), and then fails automatically destroying the new machine. Any idea would be muach appreciated.

dave

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Stridar
Contributor
Contributor

Thought I would update this:

The warnings had nothing to do with the P2V stopping at 2%. If I ran the connerter on the source server it sat there forever. If I ran from the vmcenter if blew at 2% with unknown errors. I did open a support call after trying all kind of things (defrag, Chkdsk, local admin login, msconfig etc). Tried what they recommended and still did not work. One user happened to mention that since I did the P2V attempt his access to the server was slower. So we looked outside the box (literally) and fond that the switch port for the server was 100full and the server NIC was set to auto. We changed the port to auto and that seems to have fixed the issue.

The netowrk cards were teamed and when we broke the team before the conversion (and disbaled the one card) it reset the card to auto.

0 Kudos
InshoreTech
Contributor
Contributor

I too had this same error in the logs after a failed P2V conversion. In my case, the issue was with the switch port configuration. The server I was converting was connected to a Cisco 2950 and the port was set to "speed 100". To test the network connection, I tried copying a large file from the machine to be converted to the vCenter server. I noticed that the copy time was very long. I also noticed that the Cisco switch port was bouncing between 10M and 100M (color bounding orange to green). I changed the switch port to "speed auto" and found that the file copy was very quick, and my conversion is now proceeding.

0 Kudos
vmitos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys !!!

After a week of trying to convert this win 2003 server to a VM and after a week of communications with VMWARE support (which didn't help at all), I found this thread. When you started talking about a SWITCH, I decided to check the network connection and was listed as 100M. Well, it didn't want to autonegotiate at 1G.. I replaced the NIC and it was able to connect at 1Gb.

Now the conversion worked as expected... Thanks!

I think if the network link is less than GIG and it has to move big files... converter fails!!!!

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
andyNT
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for taking the time to update your findings. It really helped me troubleshoot this one!!

0 Kudos