1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2009 8:27 AM by Maze13

VMWare Server quiesced backups (VSSWriter) not working

prisoner881 Enthusiast

One of the things I liked so much about VMWare 2.0 was the support for quiesced backups.  This (in theory) allows me to get a consistent backup of a live VM.  If you're not familiar with the technology, here's a good description: http://searchvmware.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid179_gci1329137,00.html

Anyway, I only have one problem with the technology:  it's not working.  I've configured the server according to the instructions on how to enable the service.  However, when I do a test restore of the VM, VMWare will not launch it.  It complains that it cannot find a missing snapshot.

Here's the config:

VM Host machine: Windows 2003 R2 x64 (call this HOST-02).  VM's are all Win2K3R2 64-bit.

Backup server with tape drive: Windows 2003 R2 x64 (call this HOST-01)

Backup Software is Symantec Backup Exec 12.5.  I'm doing a D2D from HOST-02 to HOST-01.  Then I do a disk-to-tape of HOST-01.

I'd love to dig through some logs on HOST-02 to see if the VSS Writer service is being called correctly but I don't know where such logs might be.  Windows Event Viewer shows a single entry for "vmwriter" (event ID 105) when the backup starts but that's all.

1 2 Previous Next