VMware Cloud Community
doubleH
Expert
Expert

Clone Oracle

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has tried taking a production windows 2003 oracle server running on ESX3.5 and cloned it to make a development environment. I need to do this and not sure what is required on the Oracle side.

Thanks!

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
2 Replies
A_Mikkelsen
Expert
Expert

We have done it a few times and as far as I remember you only have to change the IP / host name in the lisener.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

Regards

A. Mikkelsen

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points. Regards A. Mikkelsen
0 Kudos
st0ma
Contributor
Contributor

Hullo,

You should edit the tnsnames.ora files on the cloned machine that are located in the client_1(or any other number here) and db_1(or any other number here) that usually reside in the D:\oracle\product\10.2.0 folder for a 10g database.

I strongly suggest the usage of hostnames in those files.

After such clone the IP address of the machine usually changes and this affects Enterprise Manager. Here is how to fix that by removing and re-adding EM. This only works if the IP has changed but hostname remains the same. Otherwise check the metalink document id 278100.1 :

1. Remove Enterprise Manager:
    emca -deconfig dbcontrol db
    This will prompt for the oracle SID .. it is case sensitive.

1. Create EM:
    emca -config dbcontrol db
    emca -config dbcontrol db -repos create

You will require the following details so ensure you know (or set) them first:

• databse sid

• listener port (1521)

• sys password

• dbsnmp password

• sysman password

• email address for notification (optional)

• smtp server (optional)

Important Note: the option -deconfig removes the EM

jobs from Scheduling before the DB Control is deconfigured. Otherwise

the repository, which is not dropped, could be corrupted or

inconsistent if EM jobs were scheduled as the time the DB Control is

dropped. It could also cause some errors during the DB Control

deletion.

For test purposes on UAT and Development (etc.) environments I would install a loopback adapter with a static unused IP address.

let us know if it all works fine for you as it should.

HTH,

St0ma

0 Kudos