VMware Cloud Community
simo79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Duplicate a virtual machine, is it possible?

I have just created a virtual machine with windows xp pro, and i would be duplicate this machine, so I can use this when the first has some problem..

Is it possible or I have to install a new one virtual machine from the cd rom.. ?

Which is the best way?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It is a separate product for managing multiple hosts from one central interface.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
happyhammer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

you can simply clone this machine, by right click and clone, also you could turn the clone into a template to deploy further copies from it if required

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Not sure if ESXi is different but with ESX you need to have Virtual Center to do a clone. If not you could power down the guest and copy the vmdk files, create a new vm and use the copied disk files, run sysprep and you should be good.

0 Kudos
simo79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In my esxi , there isn't the choice to clone the machine...

Where you find this choice?

0 Kudos
javelin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is "clone"ing a basic function of ESXi or is it an added(lincensed) feature?

I "right click" on a VM and doesn't show the "clone" function as you have indicated.

Thanks,

jav

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Think you need to have Virtual Center and connect your client to it instead of the individual hosts.

or I guess vCenter its called now Smiley Happy

Message was edited by: jayolsen

0 Kudos
simo79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you explain to me what is a Virutal center ?

otherwise the solutions is to make a snapshot... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It is a separate product for managing multiple hosts from one central interface.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As others have pointed out you will need Virtual Center to clone a VM - also with you virtual center you can create templates - it is a seperate product allowing you to manage multiple ESX and ESXi Servers and their VMs - without Virtual Center you will need to manually copy the files that make up the VM - but do not forget you will need to sysprep each copy -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Take a look at this script, it might be an option: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9321

=========================================================================

--William

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

0 Kudos
APanian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Regarding whether you can copy VM's on ESXi? You can by opening up the VMware Infrastructure console then double-clicking your datastore. Then a second window will pop-up titled Datastore Browser.

Next if you right-click you can copy/paste/move etc... Enjoy,

0 Kudos
dinnu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thw best and free way is to use a Vmware Converter. Use the latest version which is version 4 and called as Converter Standalone Client.

Select the VM you want to clone in the source option>select the destination type as Vmware Workstation or Vmware Appliance>select the location you want to save this file and there you go.

I guess this helps you.

0 Kudos